Suggestion for scanner dedicated to POCSAG

If your into decoding transmissions, this is the place for you. Topics cover everything from pocsag, ermes, acars, flex & mobitex!!!
KrisAU

Suggestion for scanner dedicated to POCSAG

Post by KrisAU »

Hi all,

Long time stalker first time poster here :)

I'm Kris from Tassie, I've been scanning GRN and other conventional stuff for a while with my 396T and I've recently started getting in to using PDW a bit to scan my local pager frequencies and I'd like to get a relatively permanent setup in place at home.

What would a cheap and easy scanner be to purchase that would be easy enough to fit a disc tap to?
It would pretty much exclusively be setup to listen to the pager frequencies and that's it.

Your advice greatly appreciated. :)
Phantom
Forum Manager

Re: Suggestion for scanner dedicated to POCSAG

Post by Phantom »

Yeh, any scanner will do

If you were to purchase a news scanner, My suggestion would be a 73 or 93xlt. Cheap and covers the band you need. Just make sure you have a power supply for it.

Plenty of info on disc taps if you want/need that

Then again, you probably might have a spare receiver lying around that will do the same job?
KrisAU

Post by KrisAU »

Thanks for the reply Phantom. I've only got the 396T at the moment.

I did find a 355XLT on eBay so I'm having a bit of a bid on that at the moment. Fingers crossed I get it as they're apparently piss easy to install disc taps on. :)
Gearbox92

Post by Gearbox92 »

Hi,

I recently did something similar, setting up a system at home. Instead of going to the effort of installing a disc tap I got a 2-level fsk decoder from scannersplitterguy which runs from scanner audio output to 9 pin comport on the pc. I achieve a decent decode rate (avg 95%) and have found reception quality and antenna quality/placement to effect the decode rate considerably. Just my thoughts and something to keep in mind. Hope it helps.
KrisAU

Post by KrisAU »

Thanks for your responses and for the suggestion for scannersplitterguy.
I did actually find someone local with a 355XLT which I've bought, it's got a disc tap in it now and it's sitting on 100% all the time. Pretty happy! :)
mervo

Post by mervo »

Hey guys,

5 bars signal does not give me a better rate, neither does changing sound card settings, gain, mic to line in etc...

Thanks!!!