Welcome to the Aussie Scanners group, register today and join in the fun!!!  The main website, forum and tapatalk have all been updated...  Why not introduce yourself in the member introductions forum ? ...

POCSAG not being decoded

If your into decoding transmissions, this is the place for you. Topics cover everything from pocsag, ermes, acars, flex & mobitex!!!

POCSAG not being decoded

Postby gastovski » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:38 pm

Hi all,

I have my scanner set to 148.6375 and I'm hearing pager messages coming through over the speaker.

I have plugged my scanner into my laptop, and into PDW (v 3.12). The title bar is changing to tell me what type of message it's heard (e.g. POCSAG-512) but no messages are appearing in the window.

Have I done something wrong? My volume is set to 1/4 and I have tried full, and very little. Squelch is totally off.

Any tips?

Thanks in advance!
gastovski
Newly Registered Users

Re: POCSAG not being decoded

Postby Phantom » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:36 pm

It can be very fiddely without a Disc Tap, when you using volume as sole control.

It also depends on what you are trying to decode. Are you sure all the settings in the program are correct?
Phantom
Forum Manager

Postby certsol » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:49 pm

To assist anyone else who has this problem, which I also had - find a frequency that is regularly transmitting pager messages (I used the one our local hospital was on). What I did was play around with the PC volume settings, got pissed off when that didn't work because I could hear the message on the speakers and thouht it was a problem with how I configured PDW, but then starting from the lowest volume setting on the pager increase by one setting at a time, waiting for a few minutes before making the next volume increase. It can be fiddley as Phantom said in the post above.
certsol

Postby Scannersplitterguy » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:29 pm

Is the meter at the top right of screen moving at all?
Also, under Options - tick all these: Enable Pocsag Decoding / 512 / 1200 / 2400
Untick: Enable Flex Decoding
Under Monitor: Tick: POCSAG/FLEX

Are you plugged in to the Line-in or Mic-in socket on the PC? Line-in works best.
http://www.scannerantennasplitter.com
http://www.acdcmanuals.com
AOR AR8200MK3, UBC340CRS x 2, UBC370CRS, UBC93XLT, UBCT9, UH400SX, Yaesu FRG-8800, Tecsun PL-660, SR162 VHF AIS, SDR USB Dongle, Anytone AT-6666, Pearce Simpson Super Cheetah 27 MHz AM/SSB, QJE QJ-PS30II 30A PSU, Diamond DJ-130 Discone, Shockwave 5/8 27MHz, DIY HF longwire
Scannersplitterguy

Postby certsol » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:41 pm

I've got the set up you suggested above. I'm trying to get RFS pagers from 148.5875 but they're not coming through, needle moves. When I switch to 148.1375 which is the hospital the pager messages scream in 87-100%. I'm thinking the scanner can't 'see' the RFS tower? But weird that my pager recieves the page???
certsol

Postby Phantom » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:34 pm

Sensitivity varies between devices....
Phantom
Forum Manager

Return to Data & Pager Technologies