Listening to QPS on a scanner

trainguard

Post by trainguard »

OK big debate at home ATM. my father in his infinate wisdom reckons that having a scanner and listening to qps comms is a ciminal offence. :lol: but my reply was that:- It is NOT an offence IF the manner in which that you are using the information I.E just sitting at home\in car listening to what is happening NOT recording and NOT using it to perpotate a crime IS leagle.

Am I correct in what iam debating with my father over

P.S i understand he's only looking out for me but still Iam 100% sure it's not a crime
David
Uniden UH7700NB, UBC355XLT
Phantom
Forum Manager

Re: Listening to QPS on a scanner

Post by Phantom »

My understanding:

It is ok to listen however you are not to act on any information heard on the scanner nor make any $$$ as a proceed of the information heard on the scanner.
AIRMAN

Post by AIRMAN »

No crime unless used for criminal intent.

Days are numbered for unencrypted voice traffic on police anyway. :roll:

Many people hold the same view as your father. It's always about the police too. The terminlology 'a police scanner' in commonplace now.

Today's Brisbane Sunday Mail has an article about what an invasion of privacy a scanner is, especially listening into police channels where personal information is divulged. The article went on about iphone apps being able to access this info and how it should be banned.

What a crock
OIC_Napster

Post by OIC_Napster »

And it's not like the media don't listen to scanners and run PDW, calling the kettle
Black saying it wrong.

U watch, there will be naf all reports on car chases and fires when everyone goes digital

Oh and was talking to a friend of mine in the QPS, if u hear a coppa chasing a car down and u happen to spot the car, he said call the watchouse and tell then u have the car insight, if they ask how u know, it's an iPhone app!
trainguard

Post by trainguard »

OIC_Napster wrote:And it's not like the media don't listen to scanners and run PDW, calling the kettle
Black saying it wrong.

U watch, there will be naf all reports on car chases and fires when everyone goes digital

Oh and was talking to a friend of mine in the QPS, if u hear a coppa chasing a car down and u happen to spot the car, he said call the watchouse and tell then u have the car insight, if they ask how u know, it's an iPhone app!
yea thats happened to me before i was listening to a chase and they lost sight of the car in the area i was driving through. it truned out in front of me so i called policelink and they asked me if the car was speeding, i said no it's doing the speed limit, but the ocupants looked as if they were lost, PL then asked if i could follow it while i was on the phone to her a police car came up behind me so i merged into the right hand line so they could resume pursuit and i was thanked by police link for the assissantce. and the officers in the car also said and i quote " to the informant who is listening thankyou for your help"
David
trainguard

Post by trainguard »

not only that guys i know of a few rail squad officers who have the same apps and even they themselves listen in when they r off duty
David
trainguard

Post by trainguard »

OIC_Napster wrote:And it's not like the media don't listen to scanners and run PDW, calling the kettle
Black saying it wrong.

what we at aussiescanners could do is write a letter to the reporter of that artical and ask him if he wants to be the pot or the kettle? :lol: :lol: :lol:
David
rochedalescan
Founder

Post by rochedalescan »

I like that one David :P Not only do I listen to scanners I provide a stream to radio reference so that it can be accessed by those apps mentioned above. I don't see a problem with scanning as long as it is in the right hands, anything sensitive gets phones to the appropriate people anyway..
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
trainguard

Post by trainguard »

rochedalescan wrote:I like that one David :P Not only do I listen to scanners I provide a stream to radio reference so that it can be accessed by those apps mentioned above. I don't see a problem with scanning as long as it is in the right hands, anything sensitive gets phones to the appropriate people anyway..
thank you shane and i love listening to your feeds. keep up the good work dude :)
David
trainguard

Post by trainguard »

I'll be soon streaming on RR too shane but I'm going to be providing Ipswich QR radio traffic. I just goota get me scanner in order then I'm gonna call Phil to come and give us a hand to set it up. when he gets some time off
David
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

The only way to get the real news is to listen yourself as the media are more interested in the sensational, not the truth. Tour any media outlet, electronic or print and you'll see banks of scanners going. Ever wonder how the media are on site at accidents and the like and film the emergency services arriving?

Oh Trainguard, under the Radio Communications Act, the only thing illegal to listen to are things that connect directly to the public telephone systems. Anything else is fair game but you can't use the information to benefit. Interestingly enough, it is illegal to rebroadcast stuff without the permission of the originators.
mstrkrft

Post by mstrkrft »

I have a different view to you guys, I'm obviously in favour of unencrypted emergency services transmissions as they are a necessity for my job however I am strongly against iPhone live streaming of QPS channels..

Reason being is because it makes accessing police comms so simple even the most brain dead car thief can understand it.. All this will do will give QPS and DCS more ammunition to go digital encrypted sooner
Phil
Administrator

Post by Phil »

Depends what part of DCS your talking about. the Corrective Services side of things have already done so. almost all of the South Eastern Region of Corrections are using P25 Encrypted radios. as for Emergency side of things it is rumoured that they will not be going to be upgrading to anything soon as the funding is not there. if anything they will go on a state wide system similar to the NSWGRN or MMR
Phil
Forum Administrator
phil@aussiescanners.com.au

Uniden UBCD996T, RH96, UBCD396xt, Uniden UBCD563-PT
RTL-SDRs way to many
Motorola GP328, GP338, GP328 Plus, XTS3000, DP3400 VHF, DP2600e, DP4801e, DM4601e, XTL5000-03, XTS2500 M3
Simoco SRM9030 AC, SRM9022 UW
Hytera - PD412, PD462, PD682, MD782G, PD782G
Barrett 950
Icom IC-F60, IC-410 Pro
Tait TM8250
Kenwood - NX720HG
Comint

Post by Comint »

brisbanescan wrote:if anything they will go on a state wide system similar to the NSWGRN or MMR
It is coming, but so is the 22nd Century (22nd is NOT a typo).

Even as far back as the CMC inquiry into Police Communications, Government witnesses stated that the Qld Government had plans for a "Whole of Government" Statewide network along the lines of the NSWGRN or MMR. They just hadn't made up their minds which one they were going to copy.

--
Comint
AIRMAN

Post by AIRMAN »

The current state government has much more 'important' priorities to think about than encryption of emergency service radios. The forthcoming elections for a start.
alinco21

Post by alinco21 »

let alone the cost for new repeaters, hand helds, base sets.. $$$$$$$
mstrkrft

Post by mstrkrft »

I've seen governments spend money on more ridiculous things.. anything to make them less accountable
trainguard

Post by trainguard »

So the long and short of it... QPS,QAS and QFRS will go digital but in the distant future?
cause i remember when you were able to listen to gold coast police band but not now.
it sucks for radio enthusiests like me (sorry if the spelling is bad :lol: )

Curse the person who invented digital incription! :x
David
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

Gold coast police are analogue for the time being

Cheers,
Mitch
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mitch Rogers
FTX03

Post by FTX03 »

If you look the patrols in Logan, Redcliff, Gold Coast are already using digital portables.