Welcome to the Aussie Scanners group, register today and join in the fun!!!  The main website, forum and tapatalk have all been updated...  Why not introduce yourself in the member introductions forum ? ...

Strange New Cairns Callsigns

Strange New Cairns Callsigns

Postby SteveNSWP » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:46 pm

Has anyone else been listening to Cairns VKR and noticed some weird new callsigns like FM and FC and RF? Does anyone know what the go is?
SteveNSWP

Re: Strange New Cairns Callsigns

Postby mysteriousbrad » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:25 am

Yes, similar in Rockhampton Since last Monday, totally different call signs to the usual.
mysteriousbrad

Postby NightFlight » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:27 am

First letter is the region (F would be far northern?), and I think second is the district (M is Mareeba?) RF is Road policing unit (traffic), followed by the region (far northern again).
Also believe the last digit with general duties (400 number) call signs indicates what time the shift started (eg 406 is 6am start). I guess this would only apply to stations with more than one crew per shift. Smaller stations with one car would probably retain their own callsign.
Wish we could still listen down here in SE QLD. :?
NightFlight

Postby gasgrassorarse » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:16 pm

SteveNSWP wrote:Has anyone else been listening to Cairns VKR and noticed some weird new callsigns like FM and FC and RF? Does anyone know what the go is?

Funny you mention this as I just updated my local area post that in the past week in the Bundaberg area I've been hearing weird new alpha numeric callsigns, also been hearing strange alpha numeric "reply codes" upon confirmation of accepting the job.
gasgrassorarse

Return to Queensland Police