Qps/qas/qfrs ctcss tones

Discussion on; police, fire, ambulance & voluntary rescue services
AIRMAN

Re: Qps/qas/qfrs ctcss tones

Post by AIRMAN »

comint wrote:TSQL (Tone Squelch) is what Icom calls CTCSS (Continuous Tone Coded Squelch System), whereas DTCS is Icoms name for what is commonly known as DCS (Digital Coded Squelch). With either system, the receiver is only un-muted if the incoming signal has the same Tone (Code) as is programmed into the receiver. The -R (Reverse) variants work the opposite way. In other words, the receiver un-mutes for all incoming signals EXCEPT any that match the Tone programmed into the receiver.

--
Comint

Gee thanks Comint, your explanation is now making sense to me. All of these features that are available on the Icom IC-RX7 probably aren't of any use in rural areas like here, but might be worth loading in urban/city zones with high volume UHF voice traffic. There are long periods of inactivity here! Still, I've always got the aviation band to listen to :)
Last edited by Phil on Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix of Quote Code
mstrkrft

Re: Qps/qas/qfrs ctcss tones

Post by mstrkrft »

CTCSS codes are great if you have a scanner in a vehicle and want to stop it from picking up any garbage or noise that’s not supposed be on that channel

I am a news camera operator for one of the commercial networks and about half our fleet have scanners with CTCSS codes for all emergency services and the other half does not, the cars that don't are really painful to be in because we are always getting interference on qas/qfrs/qps channels from other sources where as the vehicles with CTCSS enabled scanners nearly always receive the correct transmissions interference free