List of aussies HF channels

New forum added due to popular demand, discuss all facets of shortwave radio (long distance transmission) here
DLKE
Newly Registered Users

List of aussies HF channels

Post by DLKE »

Hello everyone,
here in europe / germany we don't have HF groups like VKS / Radtel / HFoZ and so on. So it's a bit exotic and a little challenge to receive it as HF-DX. As former HF Monitor for Deutsche Welle's measuring and receiving station and as ham OP as well as CW and RTTY OP for German's Air Force the HF spectrum is my home. But with HFoZ i hvn't dealed never and i don't have a complete channel list of them. In the Net i found a hint that they sould have 15 (fifteen) frequencies, but i've found only less than 10 and never i heard some one. So may be the chance would be a bit higher when i would have a complete frequency list. So if some one knowing more pse let me know...
By the way: one of my greatest pleasure on hf was a drive to my qrl from cologne a bit outside the town into an area that we calling "Bergisches Land" - small mountains abt some 100 meters...hi. I was on dialing on 40m, and after a while i became familiar with the english sounding stations: some VK's coming in vy loud - around S9 on my Icom 706 and the 2.8m long hombrew antenna, only for 7 Mhz. And in SSB (most of the time i'am using the cw-part with a little key at the left knee..)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yipyip46

Re: List of aussies HF channels

Post by Yipyip46 »

I hope this helps DLKE
HF Groups.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
trc5au
Newly Registered Users

Post by trc5au »

Hi yipyip46, nice list. I have a Codan hf and am a vks737 member, just wondering if you have heard any police hf transmissions at all? I here what sounds like a selcall on various freqs but don't seem to get any voice. Not sure if digital thing or they are just to far for voice to come through. Maybe you have some info on this? Cheers.
scannerman

Post by scannerman »

police rarely use HF in Australia infact i dont think they even know how to use it!
the only time would be in a national disaster and it would have to be a massive one since phones and internet have taken over the good old days of HF
Yipyip46

Post by Yipyip46 »

Good Morning The police do have HF frequencies allocated but with the expanding digital network and sat. comms. they are being used less and less. The selcal you are hearing maybe a beacon. There is some digital voice transmissions on HF now days but it is still in its infancy. You may also be hearing fax transmissions or Wefax transmissions. A lot of the interest in HF has waned over the recent years due to the fact that the people who used to rely on it have moved on to more advanced and more convenient communications. Regards
Yipyip
mn1983

Post by mn1983 »

What you are hearing on those HF frequencies is ALE (Automatic Link Establishment) and yes they do use it from time to time, I have heard NSW Police use it for radio checks and transports.
domestos

Post by domestos »

...this is a great site for Aussie related HF frequencies - http://www.swld.com.au/pages/aus_networks.htm
DLKE
Newly Registered Users

Post by DLKE »

Panorama2small.jpg
Mni tks to all that gave hints for "aussie listening" - hi.
i've also a codan 8528. Not the best for standard ham radio use, but vy fine for scanning services wid fixed channels.
So i've loaded some channels that nice to hear, like Volmet or std by for friends - for example on 60m channels. The one and only ham band that here in DL / EU has prefered fixed channels. Also ideal for mobil use. bcse the antenna didn't need to be tuned inside the entire band.