Radios i have for just info

New forum added due to popular demand, discuss all facets of shortwave radio (long distance transmission) here
Scanited

Radios i have for just info

Post by Scanited »

YaY a shortwave section!

I use a Drake SW2 , modded so it wont catch on fire .
Also a Tecsun S2000
Also a National RF-B600L
Also a Wandel & Goltermann SPM-19 selective level receiver with the associated PS-19 (great for setting s-meters very accurately)

I've had plenty over the years , also a lot of Valve stuff but the above is the current setup , I use a non resonant dipole atm but it is more than likely around 8 to 9 MHz resonant , that feeds a modified 4 port out splitter with a adjustable rf amp .

Its been good imo .

(could one of the longer term members here start a sticky thread? , something like a "Interesting frequencies" found or a whats around one? you make up the name please :idea: ) cheers ..
alphanull25

Re: Radios i have for just info

Post by alphanull25 »

I have the S2000 too. Its a good radio. I posted some radio frequencies in a new thread. Check it out.
I have always had radio. Call it an obsession lol
Been a fan of the Yaesu series and owned just about every version
I enjoy pulling in the furthest away stations

Currently have

Tecsun s2000
Tecsun PL600

I experimented with digital shortwave using the computer, but as I work with computers all day I prefer to listen to a real box
Scanited

Post by Scanited »

Yep the S2000 is a good un , mine is the first version years ago with the warbly bfo but its no drama , I use it a lot at night its beside the bed , it sits on the Drake .

1701khz AM from Brisbane gets parked on a lot on the S2000 at night and sometimes during the day if ground-wave is on , 125km from here @ 500watt over some big hills too , Radio Brisvanni .
VK3TEN

Post by VK3TEN »

Too many my Mrs would say LOL. Testing my memory...

Sony ICF-7600G
Tecsun PL-360
Tecsun PL-660
Tecsun PL-880
Yeasu FT-847
Alinco DX-70TH
Winradio WR-G305e

Looking for a decent SDR next, or something that handles the Melbourne QRM well. Any comments on ELAD FDM-DUO Vs a Kenwood TS-590SG? Mainly for listening, so the TX power doesn't matter too much. I think the Kenwood might perform better with the PC turned off. Not sure I could be bothered using a PC for tuning all the time, and I prefer Macs anyway.

Cheers, Gordon
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Gordon, why not try https://apache-labs.com for your SDR interest
VK3TEN

Post by VK3TEN »

Thanks Phantom, I looked at these, but I would prefer a radio that can be used without a PC if desired. From what Google tells me, that leaves the Elad or Alinco DX-SR9. Without the PC, I suspect the Alinco receiver is not that great.

Also the Elad comes bundled with a licensed DRM decoder in it's software which is nice.