Bringing a scanner on a plane

Discussion on any technologies that do not fall under one of the above vendors, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
melbournefan

Bringing a scanner on a plane

Post by melbournefan »

Is there a law that you can't bring a scanner onto a plane, is there anything to listen to?
Phantom
Forum Manager

Re: Bringing a scanner on a plane

Post by Phantom »

What are you going to listen to?
lukehowe01

Post by lukehowe01 »

Omg I'm sorry but that's a silly question
Your not allowed to take anything on a plane like knives so what makes you think they will. Let you take a scanner

Regards
Luke
Sydney
peteramjet

Post by peteramjet »

lukehowe01 wrote:Omg I'm sorry but that's a silly question
Your not allowed to take anything on a plane like knives so what makes you think they will. Let you take a scanner

Regards
Luke
Sydney
A scanner is clearly not a knife, nor one of the prohibited items not allowed on a plane :D

I have used scanners on board domestic flights in years past. It's no different to taking an AM/FM radio onboard - it's just a receiver at the end of the day. Like anything electrical it should be turned off at take off and landing.

In the 'current climate' (wanky term for high security) I probably wouldnt take one, not because you are not allowed but more so to avoid unnecessary questions or delays by airline staff and security.
Last edited by peteramjet on Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
melbournefan

Post by melbournefan »

Phantom wrote:What are you going to listen to?
ATC, Air to air maybe trams if in range analog stuff.
Domestic flight too so i don't think there will be any scans
lukehowe01

Post by lukehowe01 »

The airport security is extremely high look try it if they let you let me know

Regards
Luke
Sydney
peteramjet

Post by peteramjet »

lukehowe01 wrote:The airport security is extremely high look try it if they let you let me know

Regards
Luke
Sydney
As mentioned above I've used scanners on planes, albeit domestic flights only. Travelled with a scanner from Sydney to Melbourne countless times, Sydney to Brisbane and GC at least twice each and once Sydney to Cairns. Last time I took one on board was around 2011. I'd set it on an FM commercial radio broadcast prior to going through security, just in case questions were asked from those that don't know any better, but none ever were.

Used to listen to the ATC, airline channels and various airport ground crews/security and some trunked sites. Always with earphones so it looked no different to a stereo or iPod. I used a stubby antenna as well to keep the size down.

A scanner is nothing more than a radio receiver, not some magical bit of electronic equipment - and certainly not illegal. In general if you can use an AM/FM radio you can use a scanner.
melbournefan

Post by melbournefan »

My scanner doesn't do 89-108 so maybe set it on the SMR?
But hey it is quntas the safest airline don't think they will ask.
I even think my scanner is illegal... 75XLT
blacktown
Forum Manager

Post by blacktown »

Much smarter to pack it in the main bag (Take out the batteries) that goes into the cargo hold.
melbournefan

Post by melbournefan »

Can i take the batteries on?
NI-NH?
Alkaline (AA)
mstrkrft

Post by mstrkrft »

Yes you can take them as carry on