Looking for a " Bug Out Bag " Two-way!

Discussion on any technologies that do not fall under one of the above vendors, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
Yaguar2
Newly Registered Users

Looking for a " Bug Out Bag " Two-way!

Post by Yaguar2 »

G'day!

I'm looking for a unit to keep in my Storm Bag/Bug Out bag ( Queensland get's Dicey )

At the moment i have a Uniden UH076SX-NB ( http://www.uniden.com.au/australia/p_uh ... _index.asp )

I need something that's handheld, Tough, Has fantastic Range, interchangeable batteries and a decent battery life.
Also, Australian stocked would be great.
Looking forward to some info!

- Yag
brianWE

Re: Looking for a " Bug Out Bag " Two-way!

Post by brianWE »

Interesting query!

The "Australian stocked" part, I mean.
If you are talking about UHF CB, it is, almost certainly, Australian stocked.
Not too many countries use the system.

And really, with a 5 watt limit on transmission, you won't get a big difference in range from one make/model to another.

I guess you are talking fantasy "survivalist" stuff ....not sure what good a CB radio is going to be in a major SHF situation, Unless you are thinking in terms of keeping in touch with your own group.
But, If mobile phone networks are down, the chances of keeping hand-held radios charged aren't good.

If you have amateur radio qualifications, you have many other choices. But, then, you wouldn't be asking, here :wink:
pfdotn

Post by pfdotn »

I keep a Vertex Standard VX426 in my bag, and I've often got an Icom IC-41S on me.

Both radios are quite durable, good battery life and have excellent audio. The IC-41S has recently been superceded by the IC-41W, which would also be a great choice.
chanjyj

Post by chanjyj »

If you have an AR licence I would be happy to help, but frankly with UHF CB your options are pretty limited.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I suppose you could hook up a Yagi to a 5W CB and point it at a repeater...
Newy1234

Post by Newy1234 »

Yaguar2 wrote:G'day!

I'm looking for a unit to keep in my Storm Bag/Bug Out bag ( Queensland get's Dicey )

At the moment i have a Uniden UH076SX-NB ( http://www.uniden.com.au/australia/p_uh ... _index.asp )

I need something that's handheld, Tough, Has fantastic Range, interchangeable batteries and a decent battery life.
Also, Australian stocked would be great.
Looking forward to some info!

- Yag
I am confused Yag, you say you already have a UH076SX-NB? What do you actually want now? A scanner?
Spectre

Post by Spectre »

brianWE wrote:I guess you are talking fantasy "survivalist" stuff ....not sure what good a CB radio is going to be in a major SHF situation, Unless you are thinking in terms of keeping in touch with your own group.
Just what exactly is fanciful about disaster preparedness?

If the original poster were not limited to class licensed apparatus a nice dual band radio might fit the bill, delivering the ability to monitor (only) local services with the benefit of access to various regional repeaters.

Having said that however a scanner could make a better secondary "bug out bag" addition as a radio than can scan will never make a good scanner and your local services may be transitioning to digital radio networks.
Equip: Uniden 57XLT, 780XLT, 895XLT, Realistic Pro-2020, Pro-2025 & Pro-2040
brianWE

Post by brianWE »

Just what exactly is fanciful about disaster preparedness?

I guess I was a little judgemental, there....I spend too much time talking to Yank "survivalists".
Many almost seem to look forward to a disaster setting that will allow them to break out their guns and defend their possessions.

On one forum, we have an ex New York City cop whose whole life seems to centre around guns and defending his massive food and ammunuition supplies.

Someone complimented him on his preparedness and suggested he might invite himself in when the baloon goes up.
Retired cop said "feel free to be the first body on my lawn".
He was only half joking.

He ain't rare.

But I DO apologise to our OP.

Edit:
I think it was his use of the term "bug out bag" that made my knee jerk.
:oops:
Spectre

Post by Spectre »

brianWE wrote:I think it was his use of the term "bug out bag" that made my knee jerk.
:oops:
I guess we need a more Australian euphemism? :lol:

Storing canned food, keeping an ear on local fire services activity during summer and an eye on the weather are all pretty much common sense IMHO, unfortunately common sense isn't all that common anymore but I digress :wink:
Equip: Uniden 57XLT, 780XLT, 895XLT, Realistic Pro-2020, Pro-2025 & Pro-2040
Yaguar2
Newly Registered Users

Post by Yaguar2 »

I'm just looking at my options, to see if i have a crappy unit for it's purpose or whatever.

I'm by no means any form o survivalist haha, just a guy who likes to be ready.

A small scanner would also be a great addition to my kit.
brianWE

Post by brianWE »

A small scanner would also be a great addition to my kit
I am out of the loop, right now, in terms of brands and models.....but a scanner would be handy.
Preferably one that covers as many emergency services as possible.
Don't skimp.
And don't be too fanatical about keeping the size down....we are talking "survival"....as in "staying alive".

And, IMO, it would be useful to be able to monitor broadcast FM and AM radio.

In a real emergency, you never know which services will and will not remain on air.
The ABC is pretty damn' good at providing emergency information.

Might be an idea to have a few decent antennae in your gear.
And batteries....lots of batteries.

BTW, is anyone selling an effective, portable, solar charger for AA batteries???
brianWE

Post by brianWE »

Interesting!!!

I just received an email notification that there was a new reply to this thread. By MaileDetty.

No sign of it, though. :o
Comint

Post by Comint »

brianWE wrote:Interesting!!!

I just received an email notification that there was a new reply to this thread. By MaileDetty.

No sign of it, though. :o
Then it is a pretty good bet that it was Spam and has been deleted by a Moderator.

--
Comint
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

The later was the case
brianWE

Post by brianWE »

:D
Should have thought of that......over the years, I have deleted hundreds of spam posts on my "other forum".
chanjyj

Post by chanjyj »

brianWE wrote:
BTW, is anyone selling an effective, portable, solar charger for AA batteries???
Have a look at Goal Zero Nomad 7 Solar Panel+Guide 10 Plus Recharger.
brianWE

Post by brianWE »

Will do.
Thanks!
rapps_101

Post by rapps_101 »

FWIW I just got a uh076 from DSE (on sale with free second battery and car battery charger)
It's definitely not as good as my GME or Icom radios HOWEVER for the price it's pretty good. I got is specifically to keep in the glove box of the car, it's always charged and ready to go. It's water proof and reasonably durable, and with the second battery (plus car charger) it's easy to give it to another person if I happen to be travelling in convoy...

Perhaps you could keep the radio you have, but add a second battery and sma > SO239 adaptor (or similar) so you have the ability to hook into an external antenna if required.
Currently have: Simoco SRM9000 (TU), Yaesu FT65, GME XRS370, GME TX6155 x 2, Icom IC400 Pro x 2, Icom IC41 Pro x 3