Need advice on a handheld uhf

Discussion on any technologies that do not fall under one of the above vendors, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
Palmy

Need advice on a handheld uhf

Post by Palmy »

Hi im new to this forum,Im not sure if this is the right forum or not.I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it is legal for me to order the http://www.409shop.com/409shop_product.php?id=107491 puxing 888 not 888k it is a singleband uhf programmable. I would be using it as a work radio for musterin so I was also wondering if anyone could tell me the range for it, I want to find a ariel for it but that has proved to be a bit difficult because I need a thin flexible ariel that is about 19cm or 25 around that, I also would get the programming cable from the same website (409shop) to program it to 477mhz.
chanjyj

Re: Need advice on a handheld uhf

Post by chanjyj »

It's not legal. Do have a look at this: http://www.aussiescanners.com/forum/vie ... ick#p33835 where it was explored in-depth.
Comint

Post by Comint »

Palmy wrote:Hi im new to this forum,Im not sure if this is the right forum or not.I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it is legal for me to order the http://www.409shop.com/409shop_product.php?id=107491 puxing 888 not 888k it is a singleband uhf programmable.
It is not illegal to order it, but as it is NOT Type Approved for use in Australia, it would be illegal to use here.

I would be using it as a work radio for musterin so I was also wondering if anyone could tell me the range for it, I want to find a ariel for it but that has proved to be a bit difficult because I need a thin flexible ariel that is about 19cm or 25 around that, I also would get the programming cable from the same website (409shop) to program it to 477mhz.
Usually the antenna that comes with those types of radio is quite adequate.

--
Comint
Palmy

Post by Palmy »

But could anyone tell me exactly why its illegal to operate that radio in australia, because to be honest, the radios here in Aus are just too expensive for me, and its hard to find one that can be programmed. any suggestions
chanjyj

Post by chanjyj »

What is your budget Palmy?
Palmy

Post by Palmy »

not very high, I can afford to spend about $150 max on a handheld but thats about it, thats why I'd rather buy a asian radio, did I forget to mention I would program it to 477mhz which I thought was the frequency all cb radios are supposed to be on?
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

The simple reason is that the radio that you are looking at is not type approved for use in Australia.

Basically the only people that are able to use them are ham radio operators and for use on the ham band