Need help with Radio and Scanner

Discussion on any technologies that do not fall under one of the above vendors, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
Axehand

Post by Axehand »

Hey lads

I'm looking at getting a Radio not sure if its UHF or VHF and a Scanner. Its for a 2010 Dual cab hilux and the main reasons are talking to my mates on trips and listen to police around Townsville area. I have no idea what I'm doing so hopefully you guys can help me out with a Radio and antenna's.

Cheers!
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

The best advice would be would be to get a UHF CB. This is what 99.9% of the general public use to talk to their mates. This is the same as what the "truckers" use.

Depending on your vehicles situation and where u want to place the unit, I would recommend either an Icom or GME as brands.

Depending on if you want a handheld or a radio mounted in the vehicle....

Give us some more info and we should be able to provide you with some suggestions as to what should suit your needs.
Axehand

Re: Need help with Radio and Scanner

Post by Axehand »

Hey mate, thanks for your reply.

I would like to have it radio mounted, living in Townsville and I travel on the roads frequently. Plus I think my mate is getting tired of me borrowing his other HH radio... Would be nice to drive on the highway and hear other drivers and also see whats going on with emergency services.

Any reason why you didn't recommend Uniden? What about this?

http://www.uniden.com.au/AUSTRALIA/p_uh015sx_index.asp
Phil
Administrator

Post by Phil »

Axehand,

Uniden is alright, just depends on the features you want personally i dont use either Uniden or GME however that being said they work so you can complain i spose.
Phil
Forum Administrator
phil@aussiescanners.com.au

Uniden UBCD996T, RH96, UBCD396xt, Uniden UBCD563-PT
RTL-SDRs way to many
Motorola GP328, GP338, GP328 Plus, XTS3000, DP3400 VHF, DP2600e, DP4801e, DM4601e, XTL5000-03, XTS2500 M3
Simoco SRM9030 AC, SRM9022 UW
Hytera - PD412, PD462, PD682, MD782G, PD782G
Barrett 950
Icom IC-F60, IC-410 Pro
Tait TM8250
Kenwood - NX720HG
Axehand

Post by Axehand »

I'm not exactly sure what features I want, all I know is I would like to send and receive transmissions from other drivers and listen to emergency services.

Radio - GME TX4600?
Scanner - Uniden UBCD396XT?
FTX03

Post by FTX03 »

The good thing with the TX4600 it has extra channels you can program to recive only, the bad thing is there's only 19 ch to do this. So if your happy with only 19 chs to program EMS chs into you can cut out the scanner altogether saving $$. Having a scanner though you have heaps of programmable chs to listen to what ever you want and you can do it at while talking to your mates on the CB.