Baofeng, Wouxun, Puxing etc

Discussion on any technologies that do not fall under one of the above vendors, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
bodyguard

Re: Baofeng, Wouxun, Puxing etc

Post by bodyguard »

orangepeel wrote:If you hold standard/advanced ham Licence and the radio is used on the 2/70, then you should be fine
thats what I posted earlier, like Orangepeel said thats how I read the legalities of it
Dont want to get in a slanging match, but my licence says I can operate or modify any radio apparatus as long as I stay in the ham bands, so thats what I am going to so
Cheers
BG

UBC9000XLT, UBCT8, BCT15X, UBC92XLT, Kenwood R-5000, PSR-410 , KG-UVD1P
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Yup

You can make a radio and use it on the ham bands - if you have a stand/adv licence...

The only thing the user is required to of - is to stay within the required bandwidth and within the scope of the licence (as BG mentioned)

Anyway - the Ham community are aware of this - think that the ACMA and the WIA are targeting the non-licenced users out there whom have these radios and are using them.
melbourneradio

Post by melbourneradio »

thats what I posted earlier, like Orangepeel said thats how I read the legalities of it
Dont want to get in a slanging match, but my licence says I can operate or modify any radio apparatus as long as I stay in the ham bands, so thats what I am going to so
Yup

You can make a radio and use it on the ham bands - if you have a stand/adv licence...

The only thing the user is required to of - is to stay within the required bandwidth and within the scope of the licence (as BG mentioned)

Anyway - the Ham community are aware of this - think that the ACMA and the WIA are targeting the non-licenced users out there whom have these radios and are using them.

As it is stated ... don't want get into a slinging match or flame war ,,, but........................

For those that do not have licenses or that are new to radio ,,,

if you read the legislation , or act or what ever its called ,

it states a person may not have in there possession , a radio that operates on a freq they are not licensed to operate , by connecting antenna , mic or power ,

from what i understand and as it has been stated before the problem with these is the VFO mode that goes from woe to go , on the VHF and UHF bands

while there has been some interesting and valid points about , home brew etc , this is all beside the point ,
in recent times (well apparently it has been the case for a long time )
these radios are not covered , even if you hold an standard or advanced license or a commercial license ,
these have to be locked to the 2/70 bands no if's no buts , that's it (well for tx only , rx you can have any where ,but the transmitter must be locked to the allowed bands .)

these things are every were , and so hard to keep a beat on , and so cheap , an easy way for an f call to get a start , and they are a damn fine radio for the price ,

like i said im not interested in a flaming war but these point needs to be made , these as they come into the country from afar , are outside the conditions , and not covered in the act , there fore if you own one in its native state its not legal ... simple ,.,.,. not hard to understand ,,

to make it legal ,,, lock the thing down to tx only in the ham bands , also easy ,,,,

if you are not licensed in any way ,,, don't own one its not legal get a scanner also easy ,,,,,

these do not carry a C tick there fore they are not legal to use on the uhf cb band also easy ,.....
John Remington
VK3 XRI
South Eastern Communications
Radios-Communications- Pagers
facebook- https://www.facebook.com/pages/South-Ea ... 183?ref=hl
http://www.secomms.com.au
sales@secomms.com.au
Dnny01
Newly Registered Users

Post by Dnny01 »

Afternoon Guys,

I'm very very new to these radios and just bought 2 uv-5r...
I have watched videos and read manuals with still no luck... Basically I'm wanting two things.

1 - know how to set it up so I can listen in on legal frequencys. And communicate in general on legal frequencies.

2- learn how to nominate a legal channel so me and my mate can use them when we are out mountain biking/camping etc.

Any good links or advise guys would be greatly appreciated !

Cheers
Dnny
rochedalescan
Founder

Baofeng, Wouxun, Puxing etc

Post by rochedalescan »

Hi Dnny, do you have the programming cable and software ? It is alot easier with that also where are you located ? Regards Shane
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

What legal frequencies are you talking about?

They are only meant for the amateur band and guessing from your statement, you are not licenced and should not be using such HT.

Just my thoughts - the ACMA are cracking down on people who are in possession of these HT
somqld

Post by somqld »

I have purchased many of Baofeng UV-5R, over 40 actually and they are great i have software cable and a list of channels
I don;t however program them with the tones to transmit on RX only channel however if you really need to they can.
i have had no issues at all with any of them i buy direct from 409shop any they arrive in 3 days.
I am happy to help or answer any questions i also have some files i can send you if you need any then upload them to the unit and away you go.
Heaps of info here http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/
and yahoo group here http://groups.yahoo.com/group/baofeng_uv5r/

thanks
Adam
GeneralZap

Post by GeneralZap »

Don't go getting to cheerful the new versions (BRB291 firmware) will not talk to your software and 409shop know about it.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/baofeng_uv5r/message/8315 check here before you jump in and buy the newer versions. The old versions 251 work fine.
Constantine
Newly Registered Users

Post by Constantine »

The new versions work fine with the Baofeng software but apparently not with CHIRP software. The CHIRP guys are working on that problem, so it is wise to steer away from the CHIRP software until they have upgraded their software for these radios.
Constantine
Newly Registered Users

Post by Constantine »

These radios can be easily locked to amateur only bands as I have done by using the Baofeng software that is available free on their web site. They are not legal for UHF cb bands even though they can be locked into those bands as well, maybe common sense will prevailed in the future.
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

melbourneradio wrote:
Yup

As it is stated ... don't want get into a slinging match or flame war ,,, but........................

For those that do not have licenses or that are new to radio ,,,

if you read the legislation , or act or what ever its called ,

it states a person may not have in there possession , a radio that operates on a freq they are not licensed to operate , by connecting antenna , mic or power ,

from what i understand and as it has been stated before the problem with these is the VFO mode that goes from woe to go , on the VHF and UHF bands

while there has been some interesting and valid points about , home brew etc , this is all beside the point ,
in recent times (well apparently it has been the case for a long time )
these radios are not covered , even if you hold an standard or advanced license or a commercial license ,
these have to be locked to the 2/70 bands no if's no buts , that's it (well for tx only , rx you can have any where ,but the transmitter must be locked to the allowed bands .)

these things are every were , and so hard to keep a beat on , and so cheap , an easy way for an f call to get a start , and they are a damn fine radio for the price ,

like i said im not interested in a flaming war but these point needs to be made , these as they come into the country from afar , are outside the conditions , and not covered in the act , there fore if you own one in its native state its not legal ... simple ,.,.,. not hard to understand ,,

to make it legal ,,, lock the thing down to tx only in the ham bands , also easy ,,,,

if you are not licensed in any way ,,, don't own one its not legal get a scanner also easy ,,,,,

these do not carry a C tick there fore they are not legal to use on the uhf cb band also easy ,.....
When reading an Act of Parliament, one needs to read ALL of the act, especially federal legislation, where they make extensive use of subbordinate legislation, usually stated as, "hereafter referred to as the regulations". I am a practising lawyer and have represented clients in this area. Under the regulations, it is perfectly legal for a standard or advanced class licencee to have in their posession, any radio equipment, provided they do not transmit on a frequency that they are not licenced to do so on and provided the device is not specifically designed to intercept anything directly connected to a public telecommunications carriage service. I aslo have an advanced class licence.
Spectre

Post by Spectre »

From what I've read I'm under the impression that these are essentially commercial radios with the flexibility to be tailored to the individual's needs, amateurs have been using commercial grade comm's gear for decades so why all the huff and puff over these? the onus as always is on the station operator to ensure his/her equipment complies with their license restrictions...
Equip: Uniden 57XLT, 780XLT, 895XLT, Realistic Pro-2020, Pro-2025 & Pro-2040
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

Sorry Dude, Amateurs are allowed to have them, but not transmit on non amateur frequencies. For all others, possession is an offence, including commercial operators as they have no compliance certification. There is no problem, for me at least, with people using them to listen or even programming them for UHF CB. If you don't muck around you won't cause trouble, but people insist on programming them to Police, SES, and commercial operators and making a damned nuisance of themselves. Unfortunately, the greater public at large can not usually recognise the difference between an amateur, a CBer or a genuine radio enthusiast from an idiot and tend to put as all into the later category. The result is at best, bad press and at worst, legislation against legitimate people. Just think, it wasn't all that long ago that many services were unencrypted. Now they are, and many more to follow. Yes, they can be imported, cheaply and easily, but so were laser pointers, until the dip sticks started to buggerise around. I am not opposed to or anti people playing around with radios and such, heck, I do, but I am opposed to people stuffing it up for all of us. If you're reading this, and you're not an idiot, you will understand. If you are, you may not, but please consider.
Spectre

Post by Spectre »

Okay I see where you're coming from, just because a device has FCC part 90 type acceptance and is indeed a commercial radio it doesn't mean "diddly squat" here in Oz if there is no C-tick ACMA approval label affixed :wink:
Equip: Uniden 57XLT, 780XLT, 895XLT, Realistic Pro-2020, Pro-2025 & Pro-2040
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

Correct.
QLD-Bob

Post by QLD-Bob »

Ok I have read the post, I understand the legallities that are being tossed about.
What I would like to know is providing I only broadcast on UHF 1-80, and never on any other frequencies, and I give them no reason to come knocking on my door by being a fool and transmitting on emergency service or commercial frequencies, and I program the unit in such a way that it will not broadcast on those frequencies.
what's the likelihood that I will get grief from the ACMA for using this radio.
workhorse

Post by workhorse »

Hi there.
This is my first posting and first foray into radios so please excuse my ignorance in advance.
I live on a rural property and need a radio for on farm use and in our 4wd vehicles. On recommendation (and assurance I could programme these) I bought a Baofeng UV5R (hoping to buy more once programmed). With it came the programme cable and mini cd. My computer is a Mac and to date I have downloaded so many different programmes to run the driver and have had no luck in getting to the stage of programming the radio. I have read many different sites and whilst I think I'm not stupid I am at a loss to programme this unit. I only want to use it as a cb radio and dont want to use its other capabilities. I also understand that it appears this unit is technically illegal in this country. Is there any one who can assist me in programming the radio? Would I get into trouble if I took it to a local radio communications shop for programming?
Any assistance would be appreciated.
Michael
Comint

Post by Comint »

workhorse wrote:Hi there.
This is my first posting and first foray into radios so please excuse my ignorance in advance.
I live on a rural property and need a radio for on farm use and in our 4wd vehicles. On recommendation (and assurance I could programme these) I bought a Baofeng UV5R (hoping to buy more once programmed). With it came the programme cable and mini cd. My computer is a Mac and to date I have downloaded so many different programmes to run the driver and have had no luck in getting to the stage of programming the radio. I have read many different sites and whilst I think I'm not stupid I am at a loss to programme this unit. I only want to use it as a cb radio and dont want to use its other capabilities. I also understand that it appears this unit is technically illegal in this country. Is there any one who can assist me in programming the radio?
The first problem is that you are using a Mac.
Most software for this type of thing is only written for Windows. Look for some software called CHIRP.
Would I get into trouble if I took it to a local radio communications shop for programming?
Depends on the radio shop,
and expect to pay a lot of money if they will program it, although once programmed, I think you can "clone" other UV5Rs from the original unit (ie., directly copy the programming from one radio to another radio).

--
Comint
workhorse

Post by workhorse »

Thanks for the reply.
If I get hold of a Windows pc is the programming easier?
Apart from the cost (which is one of the main reasons I purchased this unit) would a comms shop be in a position to report me? How big a deal is it to have these radios?
Is there anybody out in the ham radio world that might help?
Thanks again
rochedalescan
Founder

Post by rochedalescan »

Honestly, I would buy the cable. The software is available for free online and the cable is probably 10$ if that. Check on ebay. Programming is very easy with their software.
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~