First radio

Discussion on any technologies that do not fall under one of the above vendors, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
Tatcher

First radio

Post by Tatcher »

Hi All,

I dont yet own a VHF scanner and want to get my hands on one.
are there any good beginner/basic ones anyone can recommend, and does anyone have any for sale.
is there anything i need to know before purchasing one (ie- frequency range, etc??)
im only looking for something basic that i can pick up QFRS on and not pay through the nose for it (< $150)
also looking for some little 2-3 watt two way radios so my mate and i can chat on road trips, and pointers there would be great.
cheers
rochedalescan
Founder

Re: First radio

Post by rochedalescan »

Hi mate,

I would have a look on ebay for maybe a puxing brand radio or any similar Chinese imports. They would be perfect and you could probably get two for under 150$ I have been playing with mine for a couple of months now and the audio is exceptional alot better than any scanner.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-x-BAOFENG- ... 3cc51b8e52

Cheers Shane
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
Tatcher

Post by Tatcher »

They look perfect. can it get fireground and Firecom Brisbane on it? will it require programming to get it working?
Comint

Post by Comint »

Tatcher wrote:They look perfect. can it get fireground and Firecom Brisbane on it?
The QFRS frequencies are within the specified frequency range.
will it require programming to get it working?
As advertised, they should already be programmed for the UHF-CB Band. although I doubt they are approved for use in Australia.

Also, they would require programming to get them to receive the QFRS frequencies. However, this is not recommended as the ACMA has been conducting a blitz in southern states, against the use of such radios outside of the Amateur and CB Bands, with many of them being confiscated, and the owners fined.

You would probably be better off looking at Uniden scanners, such as the UBC73XLT, etc

--
Comint
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Yup +1 with what Comint said ....

These are Amateur radios, and if you have a radio that is not locked down to the amateur band and you are not licensed, you may find that the ACMA will gladly take the radio off your hands...and not give you any change:)

Best and safest way - grab a scanner (RX only) - nearly all scanners out there will cover the VHF band - however depending on where you are - you may find more activity on the UHF band. Most scanners will cover both VHF/UHF bands.
Tatcher

Post by Tatcher »

thanks for the help guys :D
FTX03

Post by FTX03 »

How dose the acma find radios that are programs to ex only on fire channels and tx on cb? How would they know what people are using?
rochedalescan
Founder

Post by rochedalescan »

They don't... untill people start getting curious and cocky and start screwing around doing things they shouldn't be doing :P
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
melbourneradio

First radio

Post by melbourneradio »

Not that I want to spam or be classed as a spammer ... But have a look at my website www.secomms.com.au , and have a look at the Cfa recievers , these are in essence a Quansheng but with all the tx bits removed , I have been selling these to the Cfa guys for years ... They are Rx only so basically a scanner that covers VHF only ... Could be just what your looking for ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John Remington
VK3 XRI
South Eastern Communications
Radios-Communications- Pagers
facebook- https://www.facebook.com/pages/South-Ea ... 183?ref=hl
http://www.secomms.com.au
sales@secomms.com.au
billyates
Newly Registered Users

Post by billyates »

I am Uniden user and it is very reliable scanner.