DCS Uniden vs Oricom

Discussion on any technologies that do not fall under one of the above vendors, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
Drew_au
Newly Registered Users

DCS Uniden vs Oricom

Post by Drew_au »

G'day everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the right section to ask this question but here goes anyway:

I have recently purchased a pair of Oricom PMR1200 handheld UHF CB transceivers. I am having some problem getting them working with the other UHF CBs we have on the property.

The problem lies with the DCS codes - any code higher than 5 on doesn't allow the radios to talk to each other. Looking through the Uniden documentation I notice that there is a jump in the sequence of the DCS octal codes after the number five and I suspect this is where my problem lies. There is no listing of DCS number to octal codes in the Oricom documentation and a few web searches hasn't turned up anything.

I can get away by using DCS codes 1 through 5, but I was hoping to have access to the full list of codes in case they are needed. We were originally using CTCSS on here on the property but wanted to move to DCS due to some issues with false triggering as we are in a very elevated location with great take off (sometimes it has its drawbacks!)

Sorry to introduce myself to the forum with a question - hope that's okay.

Cheers,

Andrew.
Comint

Re: DCS Uniden vs Oricom

Post by Comint »

Drew_au wrote:I have recently purchased a pair of Oricom PMR1200 handheld UHF CB transceivers. I am having some problem getting them working with the other UHF CBs we have on the property.

The problem lies with the DCS codes - any code higher than 5 on doesn't allow the radios to talk to each other. Looking through the Uniden documentation I notice that there is a jump in the sequence of the DCS octal codes after the number five and I suspect this is where my problem lies. There is no listing of DCS number to octal codes in the Oricom documentation and a few web searches hasn't turned up anything.

I can get away by using DCS codes 1 through 5, but I was hoping to have access to the full list of codes in case they are needed. We were originally using CTCSS on here on the property but wanted to move to DCS due to some issues with false triggering as we are in a very elevated location with great take off (sometimes it has its drawbacks!)
Well, the problem is, is that every manufacturer seems to have their own idea as to how many of the possible DCS codes, are usable.

Theoretically, there are 512 possible DCS codes, however, for various reasons, the actual usable number is a lot less. Motorola, who a lot of people claim developed DCS, only acknowledge 83 usable DCS codes, while many others claim 104, and a few go even higher.
DCS-83_Codes.png
Anyway, try the above translation table, and see if you have any success.

--
Comint
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Drew_au
Newly Registered Users

Re: DCS Uniden vs Oricom

Post by Drew_au »

Thanks comint,

I just spent half an hour creating my own chart from the data Oricom emailed me today -
THEN I checked here and saw the chart already completed! D'oh! :lol:

Thanks again,

Andrew.