Digital in Brisbane

Discussion on any technologies that do not fall under one of the above vendors, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
bodyguard

Digital in Brisbane

Post by bodyguard »

As an owner of analogue scanners, and in Brisbane, I am looking at grabbing a new scanner in the future

Is there many digital voice networks in the Brisbane area ( I know QPS are and they are encrypted, I know I cant listen to them blah blah blah) but are there many others that I would miss out on if I got another analogue scanner ?

Is it really worth spending 2x the amount to get a digital scanner over a analogue one ?
I know in the future some radio networks will change to P25 but is there a dollar justification to spend up large now or wait until later and possibly pick up a more enhanced digital scanner in a few years time.

I am looking at the Uniden BCT15X, (I know about the 800mhz gaps)

thanks
Cheers
BG

UBC9000XLT, UBCT8, BCT15X, UBC92XLT, Kenwood R-5000, PSR-410 , KG-UVD1P
Comint

Re: Digital in Brisbane

Post by Comint »

bodyguard wrote:Is there many digital voice networks in the Brisbane area ( I know QPS are and they are encrypted, I know I cant listen to them blah blah blah) but are there many others that I would miss out on if I got another analogue scanner ?
I presume by digital voice networks, you mean APCO P25, as that is the only digital voice that current scanners will handle.

There is of course, TETRA, which contrary to popular belief, might not be encrypted.

--
Comint
Phil
Administrator

Post by Phil »

BG,

short answer no i have not come across anyone who is using APCO 25 that is not using an encryption on it the only services that are using APCO 25 is Australian Customs, Australian Feds, QPS, i think the Aviation Fire Service use it but i have never heard anything from them
Phil
Forum Administrator
phil@aussiescanners.com.au

Uniden UBCD996T, RH96, UBCD396xt, Uniden UBCD563-PT
RTL-SDRs way to many
Motorola GP328, GP338, GP328 Plus, XTS3000, DP3400 VHF, DP2600e, DP4801e, DM4601e, XTL5000-03, XTS2500 M3
Simoco SRM9030 AC, SRM9022 UW
Hytera - PD412, PD462, PD682, MD782G, PD782G
Barrett 950
Icom IC-F60, IC-410 Pro
Tait TM8250
Kenwood - NX720HG
bodyguard

Post by bodyguard »

thanks for the replies guys
looks like the bct15x might be on the wish list
Cheers
BG

Doogs38

Digital in Brisbane

Post by Doogs38 »

bodyguard wrote:thanks for the replies guys
looks like the bct15x might be on the wish list
Hi BG. I had the same quandary as you earlier this year and ultimately went digital. My decision was made a lot easier by Dick Smith practically throwing out their remaining digital scanners. Another consideration was my regular trips South...the NSW GRN is going digital, and Vic and SA have a bunch of digital stuff too. I note that you're interested in a desktop scanner but you don't say if it's for static or mobile use? If for mobile use, and you do travel (South), don't discount the utility of a digital scanner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-----------
Alex www.pbase.com/doogs38
bodyguard

Post by bodyguard »

have now ordered the GRE PSR 410 scanner, Scanner Master dropped its price to US $175, not a shabby deal IMO
Cheers
BG