Scanner Recommendations

Discussion on any technologies that do not fall under one of the above vendors, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
Mathew

Scanner Recommendations

Post by Mathew »

Hey guys.
Long time since posting! So I'm getting back into radios now after some inactive time away.

I can probably choose one myself, but I'm seeking some help as to which would be the best scanner for me. I'm after a solid P25 digital scanner (much like the Uniden range).
Uniden seems to be the default people turn to when after digital scanners. Is there any other digital p25 radios out there which people recommend (portable).

I'm also looking at the Icom range, but they aren't P25 :(
Uniden 396T + RH-96, Uniden BCT8, Puxing 888 UHF
Finch

Re: Scanner Recommendations

Post by Finch »

Hi Matthew,
There isn't many scanners available on the Australian market that does P25: DTS96, UBCD396T, UBCD996T (the DTS96 doesn't trunk P25 systems) off the top of my head. Or the other way out is to get a PMR radio. If you decide to choose a 996, 396 or a DTS96 most DSE stores have them cheap as old stock.
I would recommend the 396, great radio. It just needs a firmware update when you get it to make P25 sound better. Apparently my firmware is up to date but it takes a little bit of getting used to when listening to P25.
If you want start importing, there is plenty of P25 capable scanners available especially in the American market.
-Alex
bonnie28

Post by bonnie28 »

I use a Uniden 785D with an apoc25 card, by far the best scanner I have ever had. Limited digitial scanning around my area.
Mathew

Post by Mathew »

Finch wrote:Hi Matthew,
There isn't many scanners available on the Australian market that does P25: DTS96, UBCD396T, UBCD996T (the DTS96 doesn't trunk P25 systems) off the top of my head. Or the other way out is to get a PMR radio. If you decide to choose a 996, 396 or a DTS96 most DSE stores have them cheap as old stock.
I would recommend the 396, great radio. It just needs a firmware update when you get it to make P25 sound better. Apparently my firmware is up to date but it takes a little bit of getting used to when listening to P25.
If you want start importing, there is plenty of P25 capable scanners available especially in the American market.
Thanks for the reply.
DSE currently has the 996T going for $997 which is absolutely ridiculous even with my staff discount. I'd probably just buy the a cheap T model or XT from ebay or a US dealer.
I wish Uniden came out with rebanding firmware for Australian users (or have they already? because the feature say it is rebandable)
Finch

Post by Finch »

Mathew wrote:
Finch wrote:Hi Matthew,
Thanks for the reply.
DSE currently has the 996T going for $997 which is absolutely ridiculous even with my staff discount. I'd probably just buy the a cheap T model or XT from ebay or a US dealer.
I wish Uniden came out with rebanding firmware for Australian users (or have they already? because the feature say it is rebandable)
I visited 4 or so DSEs in NSW and 2 or 3 had them marked as $600 and they were open to offers!!
-Alex
Mathew

Post by Mathew »

Ah I see. Might have to pop in and see what I can do :P
What about this bundle from eBay. I was actually interested in getting the remote head even though it is discontinued.
Finch

Post by Finch »

I'm pretty sure most of the 396s are packaged with the remote head? Mine was but mine was from Prestige.
I can't remember if the ones at DSE came with one or not.
The remote head is pretty useless (to me anyway) unless you were to put it in a car or something.
If you get one and it doesn't come with a remote head and you want one I know someone who is selling one.
-Alex
rochedalescan
Founder

Post by rochedalescan »

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Uniden-BC250XLT- ... 3cab55cc72

I would say this is gona go for a bit.
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
Mathew

Post by Mathew »

So I ended up buying that package from eBay. :)