what radio should i get?

Discussion on any technologies that do not fall under one of the above vendors, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
leighbus

what radio should i get?

Post by leighbus »

Hey guys i want a commercial radio to setup as a base station at home. it has to have an alphanumeric display and i have to be able to program uhf cb channels into it and local police and fire. any ideas?
leighbus

Re: what radio should i get?

Post by leighbus »

oh and i would like it to have selcall too.
youngn
Forum Manager

Post by youngn »

Hmm what sort of price range are you looking at?

Cheers,
YOUNGN
"YOUNGN"
leighbus

Post by leighbus »

Hmmm. not really sure. i it doesnt have to be new, i dont mind a second hand one, as long as it works.
SunnybankScan

Post by SunnybankScan »

Mate, you sure you want to get a commercial radio.

You can get a GME Radio which offers Selcall, 40 UHF CB channels, also between 10 and 60 extra RX frequencies/channel (403-512mhz) - depending on the model, which covers police, fire, ambulance and much more! And also, you can have your alpha numeric display.

The best thing is. . . . its all user programmable. :D :D :D

http://www.gme.net.au/products/radio-co ... ios/TX3420

You can have a hard time trying to get commercial radio programmed.

But if its commercial you must have, I would suggest as Philips Simoco 8030, Tait 2020 or 2040, or a relitivley newer model Motorola.
Cheers
SunnybankScan

GME 3440, Philips PRM8030, Tait 2020, Motorola GP328, Motorola XTS5000, UBCD996T, UBC780XLT, UBCT8, 72XLT, UH078sx, UH075, UH088, PRO530XL, Atlantis 250
bonnie28

Post by bonnie28 »

Leighbus. I run a GME 3800 with the lcd mic, works very well. Freqs is only 450-520 i think. I have the man unit under the seat and just have the Mic peace coming out of the dash, Very tidy setup.
AIRMAN

Post by AIRMAN »

leighbus wrote:Hey guys i want a commercial radio to setup as a base station at home. it has to have an alphanumeric display and i have to be able to program uhf cb channels into it and local police and fire. any ideas?

It might be an idea for you to look at a separate scanner as UHFCB radios with RX programmable features are a bit costly. A HH scanner is more versatile and portable.

bonnie28

Post by bonnie28 »

http://www.gme.net.au/products/radio-co ... s/TX3800BW
This is what i run in my ute. Easy to programe,easy to install. I think I paid $460+$80 for the LCD Mic. Thats a cheap commercial radio.
bonnie28

Post by bonnie28 »

leighbus

Post by leighbus »

ive actually got a uniden uho15sx in the car. it doesnt have alpha numeric but has everything else i need so im starting to lean towards another one of them for at home.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

bonnie28 wrote:Try this its got all the bells.
http://www.strictlyham.com.au/Icom/Mobi ... C-208H.pdf
That is a HAM Radio - so if you try an TX on HAM bands - expect someone knocking at your door to take your gear away and leave you with a nice little fine.

Either that - or get your self licenced on the HAM bands to open that unit right up into many new worlds.

The 208 would be an expensive little "Scanner" for your needs ...
Mathew

Post by Mathew »

You can mod the 208 to transmit up to 480 or something though lol
Uniden 396T + RH-96, Uniden BCT8, Puxing 888 UHF
leighbus

Post by leighbus »

ok so im gonna put my uho15sx from the car in the house for now. my question is "what power supply will i need?"
i know i need a 12v DC output but is there anything else i need to know?
Finch

Post by Finch »

leighbus wrote:ok so im gonna put my uho15sx from the car in the house for now. my question is "what power supply will i need?"
i know i need a 12v DC output but is there anything else i need to know?
Regulated and 4 amps.
-Alex
-Alex
rochedalescan
Founder

Post by rochedalescan »

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.as ... rm=KEYWORD

This is what I use, I think its actually meant to be 13.8 volt rather than 12. With these ones you can run multiple radios off the one power supply.

Regards Shane
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
JAFO

Post by JAFO »

Mathew wrote:You can mod the 208 to transmit up to 480 or something though lol
As a Licensed Amateur Radio Operator, I chose a Icom IC-208H Dual Band Amateur Radio for my Amateur Radio use, as well as a UHF CB, and Emergency use on St John Ambulance (NSW) UHF PMR Network as a Divisional Officer with St John Ambulance.

As stated by Mathew, the Icom IC-208H is an Amateur Radio and as such you do need to be a Licensed Amateur Radio Operator to own and use one, and for this reason many retailers will not sell you the radio unless you can produce your Australian Amateur Radio License.

I purchased the US Version of the IC-208H from Prestige Communications in WA http://www.prestigecom.net.au for $430. The US Version already has the Expended TX Modification already done and ready for use out of the box, no Mods needed. The reasoning behind the US Version already having the Expended TX Modification done is to allow US Amateur Radio Operators who are members of the US Amateur Radio Emergency Service (ARES) to use Local Public Safety Frequencies outside the Amateur Bands when assisting Local Police during Search & Rescue Operations and other Emergency Situations where ARES Members may be called out to assist local othorities.

The Expended TX Modification allows transmissions between 136.000MHz to 173.9875Mhz on VHF and 400.000MHz to 479.9875MHz on UHF Bands.

Just remember to, to use a Amateur or Commercial Radio to transmit outside Amateur Bands or on UHF CB Channels, you must abide by the License Requirements as set out by ACMA: i.e. UHF CB – 5 watts or less or have permission from the and license holder.
Grant (JAFO)
VK2FGQ
Penrith NSW
Radio Gear:
Home UBC780XLT, Icom IC-208H, Icom IC-7100.
Mobile: UBCD536-PT, Yeasu FTN-200 Fusion, AnyTone D578UV DMR, Icom IC-7100HF, Codan 9350ATU, AnyTone D878UV DMR HH,
878ROB

Post by 878ROB »

Mathew wrote:You can mod the 208 to transmit up to 480 or something though lol
My 208h Transmit on CB UHF.... done the mod myself, also have the print out to do it aswell.
878 ROMEO OSCAR BRAVO Bleeding through a television near you!