baofeng uv-5r programing

Discussion on any technologies that do not fall under one of the above vendors, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
eljordos
Newly Registered Users

baofeng uv-5r programing

Post by eljordos »

Hey guys,

I have a baofeng uv-5r but i cant program any of the channels, I was wondering if there is anyone from melbourne that i can pay to program the channels for me? Ive got the programs but it doesnt recognise the device and i think it needs windows xp which i also dont have. If anyone can help me with the where abouts of a place that i can go to to program this device please let me know.

Cheers
Jordan
Comint

Re: baofeng uv-5r programing

Post by Comint »

eljordos wrote:I have a baofeng uv-5r but i cant program any of the channels, I was wondering if there is anyone from melbourne that i can pay to program the channels for me? Ive got the programs but it doesnt recognise the device and i think it needs windows xp which i also dont have. If anyone can help me with the where abouts of a place that i can go to to program this device please let me know.
Would be helpful if you said what Operating System you DO have.

--
Comint
eljordos
Newly Registered Users

Post by eljordos »

Windows 8 which is absolutely rubish sorry
rochedalescan
Founder

Post by rochedalescan »

I can program on windows 7 so I would think it would work on windows 8.

These two links are the prolific drivers and programming software for the baofeng

http://www.universal-radio.com/utilitie ... a-Win7.exe

http://kc9hi.dyndns.org/uv5r/programmin ... G(VB6).zip

Once you have installed both restart windows with the usb cable and radio connected and turned on, a window will pop up on the bottom RHS of the screen advising which com-port the radio is using (Mine was com port 3) Then open Baofeng software ensure under the communication tab the comm port is the same as the one the prolific usb driver installed on and press read
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
eljordos
Newly Registered Users

Post by eljordos »

Thanks mate, Im out on a mine site at the moment but i will do this when i get home and get back to you. Is it easy to program with all the australian channels?
rochedalescan
Founder

Post by rochedalescan »

As simple as typing in the frequency you want to receive. You definatly need to use the software though too hard programming by keypad. You could also try a program called CHIRP but you will need the prolific USB driver installed.

Thanks Shane
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
GME Man

Post by GME Man »

I am programming my Baofeng and I Installed the prolific USB driver but when i plug the cable in my computer it says driver software has not been installed.

Any ideas what could be wrong?
GME Man
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

Yes, the chip in the lead is a Chinese knock off and won't work on anything after Windows XP, although I think I got it to work on Windows 7. You need to get a serial lead for your radio, (from China), then go to your local computer store and get a USB to serial adapter. Install that and your troubles are over. Word of warning, you'll need to plug it into the same port every time. You'll also need to either select the correct port in software, from memory it is port 3, or change the port to your choice in settings.
GME Man

Post by GME Man »

Ok thanks
GME Man
ambo000

Post by ambo000 »

Does windows 8 allow for Windows XP mode using the MS virtual machine software? I used to use that to run my CHIRP and do all of my motorola programming (the CPS's I use run in XP). I have moved over to VMWare now to do all my radio stuff and various other hobbies across a few operating machines.
GME I would recommend having a quick read up on virtual machines then setting up a virtual machine using some form of Virtual Machine software. VMWare has a free view only program but I'm sorry I haven't used it myself. I have my own licence for the full version. Windows Virtual PC might do the job if your Windows 8 supports it. Windows Virtual PC and the related Microsoft website will link you to a legit version of Windows XP you can download and run as a virtual image.
If you set up your virtual machine you can then connect your USB cable that you already have for your BAOfng and tell the Virtual Machine Software to connect to it. Then install all of your software (Drivers, CHIRP etc etc) on the virtual machine operating system being windows XP if you downloaded and install that and away you go.

If that makes no sense feel free to PM me but have a read about virtual machines (and maybe do a google for Windows Virtual Machine and Windows 8) and see how you go. Quicker and cheaper.
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

Tried to use the windows emulator, but that didn't work.
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

Sent you a PP Buddy.