VERTEX STANDARD VX-426 Programming

Discussion on Yaesu / Vertex technologies, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
GME Man

VERTEX STANDARD VX-426 Programming

Post by GME Man »

Hi, I have a problem with programming my Vertex Standard VX-426 radio, but i think the main reason is because of the drivers. I was just wondering what drivers you need to program it.
GME Man
Phantom
Forum Manager

Re: VERTEX STANDARD VX-426 Programming

Post by Phantom »

I believe that all the required drivers are supplied with the CD.
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

You need to make sure that you are using a serial to USB programming lead that will work with your OS. Many of the cheap leads just wont work on anything after XP, and even then, some of them can be hit and miss.
GME Man

Post by GME Man »

Yeah I have purchased the USB cable and there is a driver disk that comes with it. I have installed the drivers and selected the right com port, but now it's saying there is something wrong with the com port.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GME Man
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

There is probably nothing wrong with your COM port, it is more than likely the early model, fake prolific chip, I used to get the same result. Google will show you pages of problems with these leads. I got around it by using a serial to radio lead and got a USB to serial adapter and have not had a problem with any radio or even an old TNC modem since. Make sure you get your adapter locally because there are adapters and there are adapters and you'll want to be able to take it back if it doesn't work.
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Where did you purchase the cable and software from? This might help to explain the root cause to your problem
GME Man

Post by GME Man »

I got the cable on eBay with the driver disk, and I got the software from Austech

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GME Man
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

Enough said, most of the e-bay cables are using out of date, knock off chips. They will probably work on an XP system and I have managed to get them to work on Linux, but not on 8, 8.1 or Win 10. Compatibility mode doesn't work either.
GME Man

Post by GME Man »

I've only got windows 7

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GME Man
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

Read a previous post ...

There is probably nothing wrong with your COM port, it is more than likely the early model, fake prolific chip, I used to get the same result. Google will show you pages of problems with these leads. I got around it by using a serial to radio lead and got a USB to serial adapter and have not had a problem with any radio or even an old TNC modem since. Make sure you get your adapter locally because there are adapters and there are adapters and you'll want to be able to take it back if it doesn't work.
Comint

Post by Comint »

GME Man wrote:I've only got windows 7
The problem is with counterfeit Prolific chipsets used in such cables.
Prolific have rewritten their Drivers so they don't work with the counterfeit chips.

Windows regularly updates your OS (even Win7) with up-to-date drivers, so the cables may work for a while with old drivers, then fail once the updated drivers are installed.

If your programming cable cost less than about US$15 -18, then there is about a 99.99% probability that it has the counterfeit Prolific chipset.

--
Comint
GME Man

Post by GME Man »

It's all good now I couldn't get it to work on a normal computer but I tried it on my Tough Book army computer and it worked straight away. Thanks for the replies guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GME Man