Tait T2020 Series I

Discussion on Tait technologies, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
erikn

Tait T2020 Series I

Post by erikn »

Just a quick question - do any of these radios have CTCSS as default? - Got mine programmed with all the 2m repeaters for VK4 and some of them have CTCSS tones, but keying up, I get nothing back from the CTCSS repeaters.
Checked frequencies to make doubly sure I entered them (and CTCSS tones) right, which I have, but no squelch tail from the repeater. (and this is just for TX CTCSS only, no tones are set for RX CTCSS).

Any ideas on what to do next or anything I've missed?

Cheers

Erik N
This user has retired from the forum.
Phantom
Forum Manager

Re: Tait T2020 Series I

Post by Phantom »

Which ones are you trying?

I know it's a silly question, but are sure you are in range of the mentioned repeaters?

No, CTCSS is not on by default, it needs to be programmed in.

Are you sure it's programmed correctly? Power levels ok?
erikn

Post by erikn »

Phantom wrote:Which ones are you trying?

I know it's a silly question, but are sure you are in range of the mentioned repeaters?

No, CTCSS is not on by default, it needs to be programmed in.

Are you sure it's programmed correctly? Power levels ok?
I'm trying to key up the VK4 repeaters on Mt Glorious, VK4REG, VK4RBN. and VK4RLW on Spring Mountain, Logan.
Programmed the radio correctly, power is set to High, CTCSS transmit tones are correctly programmed, checked them over before and after programming.
So, with that all eliminated as a possible problem, it looks to be that my radio is out of range of both VK4REG and VK4RBN and possibly VK4RLW.

Erik
Comint

Post by Comint »

erikn wrote:I'm trying to key up the VK4 repeaters on Mt Glorious, VK4REG, VK4RBN. and VK4RLW on Spring Mountain, Logan.
Programmed the radio correctly, power is set to High, CTCSS transmit tones are correctly programmed, checked them over before and after programming.
So, with that all eliminated as a possible problem, it looks to be that my radio is out of range of both VK4REG and VK4RBN and possibly VK4RLW.

Erik
VK4RBN was recently replaced with a new repeater. Seems they "lost" the Tail in the process.
Problem is to be rectified during next scheduled maintenance event.

--
Comint
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Punch a suitable DTMF tone into RBN and see if you are able to key up an IRLP node.

As Comint mentioned, a lot of people think they are not hitting RBN as they are not hearing a tail from the repeater.
erikn

Post by erikn »

Phantom wrote:Punch a suitable DTMF tone into RBN and see if you are able to key up an IRLP node.

As Comint mentioned, a lot of people think they are not hitting RBN as they are not hearing a tail from the repeater.
Cheers mate, I'll have a crack at it when I get home and let you know how that goes.
erikn

Post by erikn »

erikn wrote:
Phantom wrote:Punch a suitable DTMF tone into RBN and see if you are able to key up an IRLP node.

Cheers mate, I'll have a crack at it when I get home and let you know how that goes.
Well, punched an IRLP node number in, radio keyed up, but no IRLP connection. Firmware is v3.03 on the radio.
Not sure what to do at this stage.

Erik

EDIT: Also tried VK4REG, no luck with that either.
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Here are a few IRLP nodes

You should be able to find one in/around your area.

Are 110% sure that it was programmed correctly?
Was it working before you programmed it?

Can you hear any output on a scanner?
Have you tested under a dummy load? Feedline ok?
What is the output (W) out the back of the radio? Have you compared that with a meter reading?
erikn

Post by erikn »

Phantom wrote:Here are a few IRLP nodes

You should be able to find one in/around your area.

Are 110% sure that it was programmed correctly?
Was it working before you programmed it?

Can you hear any output on a scanner?
Have you tested under a dummy load? Feedline ok?
What is the output (W) out the back of the radio? Have you compared that with a meter reading?
110% percent sure that it worked before it was programmed.
110% sure that it was programmed properly.
Got my dad's scanner, inputted the repeater output frequencies and I'm getting output that is very choppy. On the input frequency, clear all the way.
Wattage is 25, haven't got a meter to test and check that. Feedline works ok, don't have a dummy load.
Looks like problem is solved, it's a range issue. Even the one at Spring Mountain, Logan I can't reach.
Just for the record, I used DosBox and the Tait DOS software v2.54 to program with DosBox configured serial output to com1.
Also another question. Do Tait Series I radios automatically reboot themselves after programming or is this just the Series II radios that do this? Cause when I program it with DosBox and the Tait software (only way I can since I sold my old XP box ages ago) after radio has uploaded program file to the radio (and shows on the computer screen that it's done uploading) it just sits there with 'PROG' on the display and all lights on the top row of buttons (next to 'Call', 'Stat', 'Chan' and 'Alpha' lit up. Rebooting the radio manually with programming cable removed does no harm to it afaik after the programming file has finished being written to the radio.

Erik
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Not sure about after programming - the Tait that I have is a lot newer and it self reboots after programming.

why would you be hearing "choppy" audio on the repeater output frequency "if" you are not hitting it / keying it up?

Were you able to hit these repeaters prior to programming it?

Do you have any problems with any of the repeaters out there without any CTCSS attached to them?
Comint

Post by Comint »

erikn wrote:Looks like problem is solved, it's a range issue. Even the one at Spring Mountain, Logan I can't reach.
Don't know exactly where you define as Logan, but Loganholme is about 32 km from Spring Mountain, and about 60 km from Mt Glorious, and Logan Central is closer to both.

With a decent antenna system, you shouldn't have any trouble receiving either of them, and you certainly should be getting into them with 25 watts.

--
Comint
erikn

Post by erikn »

Comint wrote:
erikn wrote:Looks like problem is solved, it's a range issue. Even the one at Spring Mountain, Logan I can't reach.
Don't know exactly where you define as Logan, but Loganholme is about 32 km from Spring Mountain, and about 60 km from Mt Glorious, and Logan Central is closer to both.

With a decent antenna system, you shouldn't have any trouble receiving either of them, and you certainly should be getting into them with 25 watts.

--
Comint
Currently I'm operating off of a 2m/70cm dual band mobile mount antenna. Can receive local repeaters like VK4RAI (Ipswich) and VK4RBA (Rochedale South) fine. If I connect my 70cm Tait to the same antenna, it can receive the same repeaters on a 5 by 9 signal strength.

Erik N
alinco21

Post by alinco21 »

is echo or IRLP off line to those repeaters? just a thought.
Comint

Post by Comint »

alinco21 wrote:is echo or IRLP off line to those repeaters? just a thought.
VK4RBN supposedly has both echolink and IRLP active.

--
Comint
erikn

Post by erikn »

Phantom wrote:Not sure about after programming - the Tait that I have is a lot newer and it self reboots after programming.

why would you be hearing "choppy" audio on the repeater output frequency "if" you are not hitting it / keying it up?

Were you able to hit these repeaters prior to programming it?

Do you have any problems with any of the repeaters out there without any CTCSS attached to them?
Should have been more clear on the issue of choppy audio , it was the scanner receiving a signal weak enough to open/close the squelch rapidly on the repeater output freq.

The radio had no 2m repeaters programmed into it when I received it, and I have no issues with any repeaters without CTCSS (and with CTCSS, since I managed to get a signal all the way to the VK4RSC repeater this morning). All issues are now solved, except for the control head missing a few backlights.