New Uniden Handheld

Discussion on Uniden technologies, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
Pendulum

New Uniden Handheld

Post by Pendulum »

Has anyone heard of the UBCD3600XLT ?

It looks identical to the (u)bcd-436 models but has provoice, DMR and MoTROBO supported out of the box?
also looks like it has an austalian band plan with the full 800mhz for those down south in tassie.

only available from selected places overseas, I'm thinking of ordering one from eBay for approx $750
Pumper_50

Re: New Uniden Handheld

Post by Pumper_50 »

European version of 436 series, as you suggest it comes out of the box with DMR/ MotoTRBO capabilities.

Don't get me started on the hypocrisy of Uniden America willingness to release DMR protocols to units on the European market but leaves us still sucking eggs after all this time.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
tanger32au

Post by tanger32au »

I am VERY tempted by this.
Air493

Post by Air493 »

I have been looking at the UBCD3600XLT as well, but have drifted back towards a TRX-1. The 436 seems to have had so many problems, I am not sure about it's performance. In contrast I have never had a problem with a GRE or Whistler scanner. With the UK and AUS bandplans in the TRX-1 it is now a better option.
Just not sure...
X-Firey

Post by X-Firey »

Pendulum, looking forward to reading about your BCD3600XLT when it arrives...

Yes, can't work out Uniden Australia... I bet if it wasn't for the deal the CFA did with Uniden/PacTel we would not even have seen the UBCD436 or 536 in Australia. Uniden Australia could have had a good thing going by bringing in some of the other US models in to Australia and selling them also e.g. 996XT/P2 or HP's.

It will be interesting to see how many hobbyist start by-passing Australian and US sellers opting to make a purchase of a Uniden scanner from Europe and getting everything straight out of the box as Pendulum has done.
Metradio

Post by Metradio »

Have had a 3600 for a few days now and am not that impressed, since I also own Whistler scanners I have done some comparisons:
Not as sensitive as the Whistler.
Has difficulty receiving DMR on weakish signals.
Does not detect DMR in close call.
Does not receive Simplex DMR 80% of the time.
Software designed for the US plug n play buyers.

Made in Vietnam, and we all know Charlie don't scan..

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD.

WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT.
tanger32au

Post by tanger32au »

Metradio wrote:Have had a 3600 for a few days now and am not that impressed, since I also own Whistler scanners I have done some comparisons:
Not as sensitive as the Whistler.
Has difficulty receiving DMR on weakish signals.
Does not detect DMR in close call.
Does not receive Simplex DMR 80% of the time.
Software designed for the US plug n play buyers.

Made in Vietnam, and we all know Charlie don't scan..

Mike
Want to sell it?
Metradio

Post by Metradio »

No will hang on to it and see if they improve it via firmware..
I did email the European distributor in Holland and explained the problem with simplex DMR.
They replied asking if I could explain simplex !

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD.

WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT.
tanger32au

Post by tanger32au »

Metradio wrote: Does not detect DMR in close call.

Mike
This is a known issue due to the way DMR simplex works. http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden ... ost2689192
Pendulum

Post by Pendulum »

Just a quick update, I have purchased the ubcd3600xlt for $697 plus $40 shipping and is estimated to arrive feb 25
Air493

Post by Air493 »

Pendulum wrote:Just a quick update, I have purchased the ubcd3600xlt for $697 plus $40 shipping and is estimated to arrive feb 25
I went the other way and bought a TRX-1 from the UK. Keep us informed about the UBCD3600XLT. I am keen to know how it performs.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Any further updates on receiving and using the UBCD3600XLT?

How does it perform?
What is the actual frequency range?
What Sentinel version do you use?
What other software do you use to program it?
Pendulum

Post by Pendulum »

Sorry for the long absence, I've been without internet (Damn NBN!)

after using the UBCD3600XLT for a while now i can say that it works wonderfully, no issues at all! DMR works as it should, just make sure that Close Call it off as it can interrupt transmissions and you may miss a word for example 'I'm in the carpark' may come across as 'I'm in the ...park'

i cant tell you off the top of my head the frequency range but I'm sure a google search will tell you
when i go into sentinel and click about i get UBCD3600XLT SENTiNEL Version 1.00 Revison 00
i don't use any 3rd party software just sentinel
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Thanks Pendulum. I decided to go ahead and purchase a UBCD3600XLT.

Had it for about a week now. I’ve had the 436-PT for a while previously, so I’m very comfortable using Sentinel. It’s not a great program, doesn’t let you import from RR, and it wasn’t easy when I first started using it, but now it’s very easy to use, and excel is your friend.

Interestingly, I also noticed there are three versions of Sentinel, one specific version for each scanner (436-PT, 436HP, 3600XLT). Sentinel for the 436-PT will not see and work with the 3600XLT and 436HP scanner. Same as the 436HP and 3600XLT Sentinel software will not see and work with the 436-PT. The 3600XLT Sentinel will see the 436HP hansert and vise versa, but they are unable to update, read or write to the other handset. So there is no way you can upgrade the scanner firmware with an incorrect Sentinel version.

Unlike both Sentinel versions for both the 436-PT and 436HP scanners, Sentinel for the 3600XLT does not have the USA Favourites List added. That is not an issue for me, as it does make the favourites list look cleaner when using Sentinel and doesn't keep defaulting to USA list when opening and closing from editing any favourites list.

Also, frequency lists exported as “HPE” files from any Sentinel version, are easily imported into other Sentinel versions, making the transfer of frequency lists between 436-PT, 436HP and 3600XLT easy as pie.

As the 3600XLT has DMR straight out of the box, it creates a new learning curve to know how it operates and identify signals I have been missing.

Another interesting menu I found was the Analyze (American spelling with a “z”) that I listed below. Need more playing around to see how this goes with identifying LCN’s. Not sure what the RF Power Plot is.

Frequency range:
25 – 512 MHz,
806 – 960 MHz,
1240 - 1300 MHz.

Steps:
5, 6.25, 7.5, 8.33, 10, 12.5, 15, 20, 25, 50, 100 kHz

Modulation:
Auto, AM, NFM, FM, WFM, FMB

Analyze:
System Status
EDACS/LTR/DMR LCN Finder
RF Power Plot

New Favourite List options:
P25 Trunk
P25 X2-TDMA
P25 One Frequency
Motorola
MotoTRBO Trunk
DMR One Frequency
EDACS
LTR
Conventionsl
Last edited by Xplorer on Tue May 30, 2017 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tanger32au

Post by tanger32au »

Excellent post and great info, does the Analyze mode work? It is a menu option on the UBCD436PT but does not open up.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

tanger32au wrote:Excellent post and great info, does the Analyze mode work? It is a menu option on the UBCD436PT but does not open up.
Sorry tanger32, been busy and have only just brushed on the Analyze mode.
Yes. the Australia 436-PT model does not open up anything in the menu; however, the 3600XLT model does.

When selecting the "Analyze" menu, it opens up and offer the selection in the image below.
I've also uploaded the menu options listed under "New Favourites".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tanger32au

Post by tanger32au »

Thank you, pity the UBCD436PT does not have this as I could make good use of it.

As a side note, I have started blogging about the UBCD436PT and have added a search tag on my blog for all those posts: http://thegeekyradioenthusiast.blogspot ... /UBCD436PT
strat

Post by strat »

Hi guys looking at buying a scanner again.. last time i had a few was 20years ago from realistics to uniden to my dearly loved tiny yaesu handheld.. which i sold off after vicpol metro went digital. :cry:

I have no idea what encryption or what not has progress over this time as i see people mentioning DMR etc.. and i have no idea what you guys are on about.. P25 rings some bells and that's where i left.. :D

Would the 3600XLT be a good investment for years to come for us here in AUS importing via UK?

I been using broadcastify to listen in but seen some talks on here stuff moving to DMR, RMR etc.. any links you can forward me to see what would still be available for us here in MELB before i splash down 700$ on a door stopper lol

will pol in regional areas be going encrypted?

I like metro mfb via broadcastify will this be going anywhere?

looking at buying one for multiple freq while home bored in SE area's of Melb.. or maybe i should just stick with broadcastify.

SES, FIRE, Ambo's, Vicroad etc.. grand prix would also be cool during the events but pretty sure teams would have encrypted radios!!

sorry for the total noob post looks like i have heaps to catch up on.. @pumper_50 website has helped me slowly get my head around this. :!:
X-Firey

Post by X-Firey »

Do a lot of research and see what is available and what would suit your requirements. P25 Phase 1 capability is a must but also future proofing yourself is worth thinking about. Also research programming software and its requirements. You could also download software and owners manuals and have a look in advance. Marks's Easier to Read Scanner Manuals can be found online.

Our options of scanners and retailers is limited in Australia and you may have to look at importing from the US. It may even be cheaper to import.

Good luck with your search.
peteramjet

Post by peteramjet »

The 3600XLT is a good portable option. There is plenty of info around on that scanner, but in brief terms it is essentially the same as the Australian 436-PT but with DMR support (included for free out of the box).

Another good portable option is the Whistler TRX-1. This scanner will also do DMR out of the box, as well as NXDN.

Importing either one from the UK is cheaper than importing the same equivalent scanner from the US. With the 3600XLT, the cost of importing one (including postage) is not significantly more than getting a 436-PT locally. In many ways it is better value as it includes DMR capabilities, something the Aussie version does not (and may never).

If you are looking at 'future-proofing', I wouldn't get a digital scanner unless it has DMR, as that is the way many (most?) business/commercial and some emergency users are moving. NXDN would also be beneficial for the future. That rules out all Aussie models and means importing is a requirement.

Let us know how you go.