Programming a BCD996XT help please

Discussion on Uniden technologies, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
Truckie909
Newly Registered Users

Programming a BCD996XT help please

Post by Truckie909 »

Hi everyone only new to using a forum please bare with me. I've recently purchased a BCD996XT over eBay. It come preprogrammed with us counties, being a truck driver I'm not that tech savy. Can anyone help me/lend some advice on how to delete these and and add the Australian channels that I listen too? I believe their is a computer software I can get to do this? My closest capital city is brisbane is there any dealers that could do this for me? Any help is greatly appreciated.
peteramjet

Re: Programming a BCD996XT help please

Post by peteramjet »

Truckie909 wrote:Hi everyone only new to using a forum please bare with me. I've recently purchased a BCD996XT over eBay. It come preprogrammed with us counties, being a truck driver I'm not that tech savy. Can anyone help me/lend some advice on how to delete these and and add the Australian channels that I listen too? I believe their is a computer software I can get to do this? My closest capital city is brisbane is there any dealers that could do this for me? Any help is greatly appreciated.
You cannot modify the pre-programmed channels on a US model (ie, non 'UBCD' model) to AU channels. These are restricted by firmware and the US model firmware is not compatible/transferable with the AU model firmware. This, however, isn't really an issue as the pre-programmed channels are of little use, even on the AU model.

You need to find the frequencies or trunked networks that you want to listen to and load these on the scanner using software - many variants of which is free. FreeScan is one free software program that comes to mind. The software is not overly difficult to use, however you will likely need to use a bit of trial and error to get it programmed the way you want. There is plenty of info out there on this site, other sites and on the ACMA Frequency Register that will assist you in finding frequencies/networks that may be of interest to you.

I don't know of any dealers that program these radios. There may however be individuals on this site or others who may be able to help you out further.
Truckie909
Newly Registered Users

Post by Truckie909 »

Thank you so much. I have had it at a dealer in brisbane but pick it up today as they said it couldn't be done. The bcd996p2 be the same? I've read they are not preprogrammed.
SteveO

Post by SteveO »

Will the aussie 996 programing work for this?
Steve
peteramjet

Post by peteramjet »

Truckie909 wrote:Thank you so much. I have had it at a dealer in brisbane but pick it up today as they said it couldn't be done. The bcd996p2 be the same? I've read they are not preprogrammed.
The US BCD996P2 will be the same, with US information pre-programmed (and not able to be changed to AU info). Again, it's not an issue, as the pre-programmed info isn't of much assistance. You will need to program in the frequencies or networks you want to listen to, regardless of what scanner you buy. With most Uniden models this can be done using free software.
Yipyip46

Post by Yipyip46 »

Good Morning Readers, More and more manufacturers are coding firmware to protect their sales in different countries. With the advent of selling sites like E-Bay, sales in some countries like Australia took a massive dive. By making firmware country specific it makes it less attractive to purchase from over seas. You can still purchase from over seas but you need to put up with the other firmware, the associated programming and miss matches. These manufacturers guard the software that will allow the changing of country firmware very tightly. Uniden are one of these manufacturers. As previously mentioned you can enter the local changes manually but it makes the set up more difficult and most retailers will point you in the direction of the internet to download free software to do that as it is not cost effective for them to do it. Regards YipYip
Cally460

Post by Cally460 »

Is it possible to delete the pre programmed channels that come with these scanners?

like many, I bought a US model and only want to listen to local stuff - not the goings on of the Alabama Highway patrol..