Gumtree Scanner

Discussion on Uniden technologies, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
ler260

Gumtree Scanner

Post by ler260 »

Hello im still new to scanners and antennars and im looking to buy a UBCD396XT digital handheld scanner. Im looking at this very cheap scanner on gumtree as Im on a student budget and don't have much $$. I no from other people in my community that I will need a antennar once I have brought the handheld as I don't get much reception and very rural. Could someone please tell me if this is the scanner and antennar to go with
Thanks

Scanner and antennar that is on gumtree: http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/newtown/ ... 1075856207
Phantom
Forum Manager

Gumtree Scanner

Post by Phantom »

Any external antenna should improve your reception.
One thing I can see, I am fairly sure that you may need a small adaptor to secure that BNC end (on the antenna) to match the plug on the 396. Small thing and very easily fixed. A few $ and you should be away.

Not sure what antenna that is? What band is it designed for, but like most antennas, if you are using them for RX, most antennas will be suitable and be better than the stock rubber duck internal antenna

How do you know what you need an external antenna? What have the others said?
Again, it depends on what you are wanting to listen to and where you are located. You would want to make sure that this scanner is suitable to your personal situation and requirements.

Like most second hand equipment, you want to make sure that you are happy with the equipment that you are purchasing as it mostly operates with a non-return/refund policy. Make sure it is fully working and find out what environment it is coming from, if all features are fully working and be sure to ask why this person is selling the item.

Just my thoughts, do your homework and you could end up grabbing a good item.
ler260

Re: Gumtree Scanner

Post by ler260 »

ok thanks. The guy up the road said that he has an adaptor that I can have(he's getting out of it all) also who can point me in the right direction for frequencies in my area (what websites or users on the aussie scanners) and how to I setup this scanner.
Thanks again
Newy1234

Post by Newy1234 »

I can not see the, programing cable, charger, or belt clip in the pics or in the description, I would be asking if these are supplied as well.
ler260

Post by ler260 »

i asked and it is included and it runs on batteries, includes belt clip but does not have the programming cable do I need that
chainz

Post by chainz »

If you want to program it via the PC yes, And you will most likely need to usb adapter aswell.