Antennas for UBCD396XT

Discussion on Uniden technologies, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
dizzie131

Antennas for UBCD396XT

Post by dizzie131 »

Hey everyone.
A newbie to scanners here.
After having a Motorola XTS3000 with RX / scanning on it, I decided I would like a new scanner, as I couldn't program the XTS3000 myself due to having no idea how to...

I have just purchased a Uniden UBCD396XT which should arrive tomorrow (if Aust Post pull through).
The unit obviously comes with a "rubber ducky" antenna (I think that's what they're called...), but I would like some advice on some upgrades.
I will be scanning SAGRN, for all emergency services (except SAPOL), Marine rescue, air traffic, and whatever else the scanner picks up.
I am in the southern suburbs of Adelaide, and the scanner would predominately be used in the metro area, and Adelaide Foothills.

If the antenna that comes with the scanner is OK in my area, then that's awesome! But if not, I would like an upgrade.
I found one on eBay, but not sure if it's a decent one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NAGOYA-NA-701-S ... 0477811977
So if anyone could provide some advice or tips on which antenna to get, that'd be great!

I am also looking at getting a antenna for my car.
I would be looking for a small but powerful antenna, with a magnetic base for easy removal.
It's to my understanding that I will need the antenna, patch lead, and the magnetic base.
Ideally the car antenna would be cheap, but effective.
So again, any advice / tips would be appreciated!

Cheers!
My paging feed website: http://www.cfsres.com
DavidHelicopter

Re: Antennas for UBCD396XT

Post by DavidHelicopter »

Good luck with the UBCD396XT excellent choice, BUT, don't expect to get your head around it in the first week, think of it like a rubics cube, learning is half the fun, I have had mine for a few months. Ok antennas, the rubber duck is up to the job, I am in Trott Park not far from the tower but get good coverage, have made some base antennas but not needed for grn. Programing, I have used freescan and have proscan which will make life easier along with radio reference. Will check this spot if you need more info or programme it. I'm no expert but can get the grn, slowly learning to understand the new technology, I have an icom r20 as well. Cheers
dizzie131

Post by dizzie131 »

DavidHelicopter wrote:Good luck with the UBCD396XT excellent choice, BUT, don't expect to get your head around it in the first week, think of it like a rubics cube, learning is half the fun, I have had mine for a few months. Ok antennas, the rubber duck is up to the job, I am in Trott Park not far from the tower but get good coverage, have made some base antennas but not needed for grn. Programing, I have used freescan and have proscan which will make life easier along with radio reference. Will check this spot if you need more info or programme it. I'm no expert but can get the grn, slowly learning to understand the new technology, I have an icom r20 as well. Cheers
yeah I am prepared to not know it in a week hehe ;)
I am in Morphett Vale, so would get the Noarlunga or Trott Park Tower.
I have downloaded FreeScan, and have ordered a COM port to USB cable from eBay, should arrive this week.
Lucky for me, my Capitan in my CFS brigade is a radio whiz, so if I really need help, I could go to him (although I don't want to bother him too much).
Thanks for the response!
DavidHelicopter

Post by DavidHelicopter »

You can find a reasonable case on ebay from the US, check other threads, classifieds for further details. Got my unit from gadget city and it came with usb to rs232 adaptor, uniden manual on cd is hard to follow, check out marksscanners.com for easy to read manual
dizzie131

Post by dizzie131 »

DavidHelicopter wrote:You can find a reasonable case on ebay from the US, check other threads, classifieds for further details. Got my unit from gadget city and it came with usb to rs232 adaptor, uniden manual on cd is hard to follow, check out marksscanners.com for easy to read manual
Thanks for the link! Thst is definitely easier to read.
I think I might look into a case too.
Newy1234

Post by Newy1234 »

I was not happy with the original antenna when I got mine, I tried about 5 other antennas and found these to be excellent.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/UHF-400-470M ... 2eb9a30107
dizzie131

Post by dizzie131 »

Ok so I got my new scanner. Loving it.
Have figured out quite a bit with free scan.
Got Jim at ozscan to program it.
Once it arrived I changed around the systems and groups, and manually added in Cfs vhf fire ground channels.

The antenna is ok... Sometimes it's scratchy, so might invest in a new one.
Either the one suggested by newy, or the Nagoya that I posted in the first post. Not sure which one to go for yet... Considering I use vhf and UHF... Any input anyone?

I do have a question about proscan.
It looks good, but I am at a loss of how to actually connect the scanner to the software.
I have it plugged in to the serial port but I don't know how to open it in the software. Any tips?

Thanks.

Nb: posting on phone, so may be spelling errors.