ICOM 6061 uhf to digital?

Discussion on Icom technologies, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
ziggybyrne

ICOM 6061 uhf to digital?

Post by ziggybyrne »

Hello All,

I've had an icom icf 6061 in 400 - 470 mhz split for a few years and like it very much. I am wondering if anybody has any experience installing the option board to allow digital operation (ut 126). I'm wondering if a ut 121 board would do the trick also? Any feedback greatly appreciated thanks.
Ziggybyrne
Comint

Re: ICOM 6061 uhf to digital?

Post by Comint »

ziggybyrne wrote:Hello All,

I've had an icom icf 6061 in 400 - 470 mhz split for a few years and like it very much. I am wondering if anybody has any experience installing the option board to allow digital operation (ut 126). I'm wondering if a ut 121 board would do the trick also? Any feedback greatly appreciated thanks.
Ziggybyrne
As far as I am aware, the UT126 is for IDAS (which is basically Icoms version of NXDN),
and the UT121 is for D-Star (which is basically only used by Amateur Radio Operators).

Neither is of any use if you want to listen to APCO P25.

--
Comint
ziggybyrne

Re: ICOM 6061 uhf to digital?

Post by ziggybyrne »

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm thinking of purchasing the ut126h board because i am noticing that as time passes, more commercial repeaters(which i monitor occasionally) are moving to digital. I used to monitor surflifesaving which has moved to IDAS recently. It seems IDAS and NXDN are the digital choices for agencies not concerned with digital encryption. Would I be able to monitor these using just the RAN codes? Or am I wasting my time and money on a digital board. As an aside my icom 6061 is 400-470 split-is there any way to force the split a little higher? It will go to 480 currently but I'd like to stretch that to 490mhz if possible. I dont mind giving up a little on the bottom of the band.
Thanks again
ziggybyrne