icom 6061 short review

Discussion on Icom technologies, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
ziggybyrne

icom 6061 short review

Post by ziggybyrne »

Hi guys
Just recently i purchased an icom 6061 uhf from the states. Specs are 5/25/45 watts.512 channels,voting,inversion scrambler built in,digital capable with optional board,trunking capable and plenty of other good stuff too. Price is around $385 plus $50 postage from nsi comms. The voting works sweeeet and these are capeable of 128 banks and plenty of scanning options.I've programmed in the local qps,fire and ambo's in vote groups and the voting works very nicely. I went with the 400-470 mhz version which will actually run up to 480 mhz which covers my needs. I've tested it at 45 watts but it gets hot quite quickly. I feel for general commercial use 25 watts is plenty anyway. On 5 watts it runs as cool as. Something to think about for about the same money as the 400 pro, the 6061 can do so much more. They do need programming from scratch however.
Thanks Rowan
rossmutz

Re: icom 6061 short review

Post by rossmutz »

Would also be quite illegal here.
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

He says that it covers up to 480 MHz, and this covers his needs. If all was legal and above board, it would cover his needs by only going up to 450 MHz.
ziggybyrne

Post by ziggybyrne »

Thanks for the replies,
What i meant by meeting my needs is that the unit covers 477mhz. Strictly speaking the specs are 400 - 470 and i just wanted to clarify that it does actually cover uhf cb. I do have access to a commercial repeater which requires an input of of 479mhz so this icom does the job. Why would this be illegal here if i'm txing at 5 watts on narrowband uhf cb? I'm not really interested in a horsepower war with regards to wattage. My brief review is in the spirit of sharing information.
I just thought some would be interested in reading about this radio which is vastly superior to to the 400 pro which i also have.
Cheers
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

There are a lot of good radios out there. Unfortunately, the cost of having them certified for Australian use compared to the potential number of sales means that many good ones don't get certified, and to be sure, a lot of crap does get certified. Officially, unless your radio has a c-tick sticker on it, it is illegal. Unofficially, if you program it for CB use, and you don't stuff around, why worry?

You can read about it here...

http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD..PC/pc=PC_1687
ziggybyrne

Post by ziggybyrne »

Hmm, I get your meaning now. I've installed the 6061 in the car so unfortunately i cant see the bottom of it to see what stickers or markings are on it but I do have a feeling it had the c tick compliance on it. Next time i get the chance i'll have a look to satisfy my curiosity.
Cheers for the feedback
Comint

Post by Comint »

ziggybyrne wrote:Hmm, I get your meaning now. I've installed the 6061 in the car so unfortunately i cant see the bottom of it to see what stickers or markings are on it but I do have a feeling it had the c tick compliance on it. Next time i get the chance i'll have a look to satisfy my curiosity.
If you got it in from the USA, I doubt it would have the C-Tick, as that is an Australian "thing".

And besides, overseas certification basically doesn't have any relevance in Australia.

--
Comint