When is "reconditioning" complete?

Discussion on Motorola technologies, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
Williamhawk
Newly Registered Users

When is "reconditioning" complete?

Post by Williamhawk »

Hi all,

just getting ready to put all our shiny new APX portables into service. I wanted to "initialize" all the batteries (NNTN8930A) prior to distribution to make sure none were bad.

Had a couple weird situations. Maybe something I just never noticed with the XTS batteries, but I don't think I've seen this behavior before. All batteries when first inserted went "yellow" as expected to recondition ("Calibrating" as the digital display calls it). Had a couple situations where I needed to stop the process before the display was green (needed to move the truck that one bank charger was mounted in; needed to pop out the inserts and put the 'ol XTS radios back on since I needed to leave).

In both situations, I waited until the "yellow" stage was complete and we were into the "red" stage (charging). Figured I could then just pop the batteries back in/plug the shoreline back in and they would show "red" again and complete charging until finally green. BUT- that's not what happened!! In both circumstances the batteries showed "yellow" and commenced discharging to recondition again. Yeah, I know I could've probably "double-tapped" them to get to red, but I wanted the validation of a complete yellow-red-green sequence (and also to get the "recondition" timestamp on the battery, although I'm not sure that I really know if that's what happens). Going back down do discharge and then to full green was a LONG process here- like 10 hours. (and then someone else unknowingly moved the apparatus to start the cycle all over again- AHHHH!).

SO, my questions are: When does "reconditioning" complete and the battery mark its timestamp- does it have to "go green" first? And- is this behavior different in the APX batteries or was it inherent in the XTS batteries also and I just never noticed it?

Thanks!!!