XTL2500 questions

Discussion on Motorola technologies, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
wombat81
Newly Registered Users

XTL2500 questions

Post by wombat81 »

Morning all,
Firstly, I've done a search and wasn't able to locate anything useful, but if you know of existing threads, please let me know.

I bought a mine spec Hilux recently and it has a Motorola XTL2500 with a HMN1090B microphone in it. I've used normal old UHF radios for years but never anything more technical than that but this thing seems like a pretty serious piece of equipment, and I don't even know where to start looking to find out what it actually is capable of and can be used for. The Model No is M21KSM9PW1AN and the Flashport Code is 5010010002004. From what I've read, those two numbers are pretty significant. It seems to be programmed with the frequencies of a heap of different mine sites in QLD

From what I've read it seems like these things can be programmed via PC to do various different things if you have the right cables and software, which sound like they are pretty expensive.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a page that will help me understand what this thing actually does? Info on software and cables? From what I understand, it's a 10-50w unit, so while programming it for normal UHF frequencies might be possible, it would be illegal. Is that correct?

We're planning a trip around oz in the next couple of years. Would this radio be of any significant use over a standard UHF (of which there is already one in the vehicle)?

Is there a second hand market for radios such as this? It would be a complete set up with the radio, speaker, mic, aerial and wiring. If so, what would be a reasonable asking price?

Thanks, and sorry for all the questions. I just don't really know where to start researching.
Yipyip46

Re: XTL2500 questions

Post by Yipyip46 »

Good Morning Wombat81, The radio will be a P25 radio, most likely a VHF but could be a UHF (Depending on which mine site it came from). Again it may have encryption or not. Unless you have a specific use for it, I would suggest turning it into cash.
Regards
Yipyip
youngn
Forum Manager

Post by youngn »

Looks like you have a VHF (136-174MHz) unit.

You should be able to get some decent spare coin for it to get yourself a UHF radio, I'd try eBay.
"YOUNGN"
wombat81
Newly Registered Users

Post by wombat81 »

Thanks guys. I already have a decent UHF but I'm keen to look into the possibility of HF, and I'll definitely need some coin for that!