NSW GRN Antenna

For anyone that wants to modify their equipment or has a question relating to their installation issues
Forum rules
Aussiescanners takes no responsibility for any modification undertaken, these are to be done at your own risk and should only be performed by those with good knowledge of radio and soldering.
planky
Newly Registered Users

NSW GRN Antenna

Post by planky »

Hi guys, i posted a question on a different sub forum recently without much luck - hoping I might find a bit more help here!

I’m looking for an external antenna (car mount) to use with my 396XT to scan NSW GRN (plus a bit of airband). Am tossing up between broadband UHF elevated feed (eg. RFI CD992-67-73) vs glass mount vs a more dedicated scanner antenna that may not work so well on the car boot (eg Mobile one SCATX).

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated!
railscan

Re: NSW GRN Antenna

Post by railscan »

planky wrote:Hi guys, i posted a question on a different sub forum recently without much luck - hoping I might find a bit more help here! I’m looking for an external antenna (car mount) to use with my 396XT to scan NSW GRN (plus a bit of airband). Am tossing up between broadband UHF elevated feed (eg. RFI CD992-67-73) vs glass mount vs a more dedicated scanner antenna that may not work so well on the car boot (eg Mobile one SCATX). Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated!
A lot has and will continue to be written about antennas and which is the best for such and such. As most of your scanning is going to be UHF with an excursion into VHF air every now and then, the best choice would be the elevated feed (high gain element). It will perform equally as well on the VHF, simply because it is a bit of wire approximately the length required.

The on glass is a compromise that only perform to about 75% of the efficiency of the elevated feed. Dedicated scanner antennas, in my opinion are a waste of time.

As you are not transmitting disregard any of the hype surrounding the fact you will be using a UHF antenna to receive VHF. It is all theoretical BS.

R