Odd Antenna Problem Today

For anyone that wants to modify their equipment or has a question relating to their installation issues
Forum rules
Aussiescanners takes no responsibility for any modification undertaken, these are to be done at your own risk and should only be performed by those with good knowledge of radio and soldering.
terryhaynes
Forum Manager

Odd Antenna Problem Today

Post by terryhaynes »

Well today I mounted my SCATX and 477Mhz together on pole with a horizontal pole on top and about a metre between them.

Now I was getting perfect reception with the scatx but decided to take the 477Mhz off. After taking the 477Mhz off the pole my reception with the scatx turned to crap. Was the scatx 'feeding' off the 477Mhz?

Terry
railscan

Re: Odd Antenna Problem Today

Post by railscan »

terryhaynes wrote:Well today I mounted my SCATX and 477Mhz together on pole with a horizontal pole on top and about a metre between them. Now I was getting perfect reception with the scatx but decided to take the 477Mhz off. After taking the 477Mhz off the pole my reception with the scatx turned to crap. Was the scatx 'feeding' off the 477Mhz? Terry
A metre apart I very much doubt it. I would be doing some simple fault finding, looking for a cable issue first up. Poor earth, loose and or broken connections.

While it does happen that an antenna's proximity to another antenna or metal source can have an effect on reception characteristics it is rare and I repeat rare for that effect to be so dramatic as to be noticeable.

While under some circumstances Google is your friend, in this case a multi meter is a better friend. Check the continuity of cables using the Ohms settings with the cable disconnected from the antenna, if you detect a short that is more than likely the cause of the 'crap' reception. If no short reconnect the antenna and check again.

Some antennas such as dipoles will show a short others will not. The SCATX should not.

R