Help installing mobile radios in home

For anyone that wants to modify their equipment or has a question relating to their installation issues
Forum rules
Aussiescanners takes no responsibility for any modification undertaken, these are to be done at your own risk and should only be performed by those with good knowledge of radio and soldering.
scannerman

Help installing mobile radios in home

Post by scannerman »

Hi all i have a fair few radios set up in my shack atm but am having some issues and was wondering if anyone could suggest any help.

i currently have a scanner a uhf radio and a uniden ssb980 am sideband radio.
the current problem i am having is with my Am ssb set.
i have all the coax cables together going out one window
the Am radio is connected to a old 1970's station master
and the uhf radio is connected to a whip antenna on a magnetic base on the tin roof

the problem i have is major swr issues when transmitting on am or ssb. everytime i talk my voice also goes over my stereo or any portable speakers in the house. also when i transmit it cause the uhf radio that is mounted next to it on my bench to break its aquelch and causes it to crackle

i have the staion master mounted to the side of the garage it is connected to the radio with a 50 meter cable of coax.
also i have another wire connected to the metal plate of the antenna running to the houses earth. yet still this does not solve my swr issue of bleeding onto other radios or stereos.
i have tried using another antenna a whip on a magnet base i still get the same result ive tried different radios same result also tried new coax with the same result. im really out of ideas. it seems like its a earthing issue but i cant seem to fix it. i have even tried connecting the radios negative power terminal to a ground with no luck. also have tried different power supplys.

any help would be great thx
alinco21

Re: Help installing mobile radios in home

Post by alinco21 »

you could try some ferrite rods placed on your speaker cable might help.

with the coax did you test it once the PL259 plugs were on it with a multi meter to make sure there was no shorting.

what is the swr reading?

have a few other ideas as well.
scannerman

Re: Help installing mobile radios in home

Post by scannerman »

yes i tested the pl259 with a multi meter and they were fine however the antenna seems to be very strange looks like the outer coax is shorting with the antenna itself yet when looking at the station master there does not seem to be anything anywhere shorting. swr seems to be all over the place depending on how i have the coax looped outside at the moment its about 1-3.5 yet in saying that i have tried a pretuned whip on a magnetic base on the tin roof and i still get the bleed over and high swr and yes i have checked that the tin roof is grounded which it is