Home made scanner antenna for car - what design to use?

For anyone that wants to modify their equipment or has a question relating to their installation issues
Forum rules
Aussiescanners takes no responsibility for any modification undertaken, these are to be done at your own risk and should only be performed by those with good knowledge of radio and soldering.
mervo

Home made scanner antenna for car - what design to use?

Post by mervo »

Hey guys. I've recently made a double-bazooka style antenna out of coax that works OK in my car.

I'd like to make something that works a little better but still remains inside the car.

Any suggestions on antenna type for scanning a particular band?

I know there are loops, dipoles, folded dipoles etc etc...

I realise that there are on-glass type antennas but google tells me that there is loss between the glass?

Thanks!
brianWE

Re: Home made scanner antenna for car - what design to use?

Post by brianWE »

I'm pretty sure that ANY antenna confined inside of your car will lose some of the available signal.
But I would assume that the glass would block a whole lot less than metal work would.
brianWE

Post by brianWE »

BTW, I live in a flat. I have an on-glass that came with mu UBC355 attached to a window.
It seems to work as well as the telescopic antenna that, also, came with the set.
Seems to be as effective as the modified indoor TV antenna I sit on a window sill at an open (usually) window.

A pity Uniden don't use signal meters on lower-priced sets. :roll:

I, also, have a mickey mouse set-up for my UHF....a half wave portable antenna stuck to a window with Blue Tac.
Full signal in and out of the local repeater.
mervo

Post by mervo »

Thank you Brian!

I've since made another double bazooka / folded dipole that works rather well!