Uniden UBCD396T discriminator tap

For anyone that wants to modify their equipment or has a question relating to their installation issues
Forum rules
Aussiescanners takes no responsibility for any modification undertaken, these are to be done at your own risk and should only be performed by those with good knowledge of radio and soldering.
mervo

Post by mervo »

Hello all. I recently added a discriminator tap to my UBCD 396T / 396T radio.

Unfortunately I couldn't find room in the case to fix the female headphone jack so I ended up using a hole through the case for the two wires to come out of.

This looks crappy, and I wondered whether anyone here has tapped their 396T using the already present on board headphone jack instead?

For other models it's simply a case of removing a 100 resistor that crosses the headphone soldering and then soldering your DSC to the right pad.

Anyone have success with this method on the 396T?

Many thanks!
railscan

Re: Uniden UBCD396T discriminator tap

Post by railscan »

mervo wrote:Hello all. I recently added a discriminator tap to my UBCD 396T / 396T radio.
Unfortunately I couldn't find room in the case to fix the female headphone jack so I ended up using a hole through the case for the two wires to come out of.
This looks crappy, and I wondered whether anyone here has tapped their 396T using the already present on board headphone jack instead?
For other models it's simply a case of removing a 100 resistor that crosses the headphone soldering and then soldering your DSC to the right pad.
Many thanks!
I have done many discriminator mods on the 396 family using the earphone socket as a dual purpose socket, ie baseband audio and AF audio. It work perfectly, the only down side is if you want to listen to the signal for testing purposes you cannot because the AF component is not available when the discriminator lead is plugged in.

R
Adpad

Post by Adpad »

Is it easy to modify a 996t ?
railscan

Post by railscan »

Adpad wrote:Is it easy to modify a 996t ?
It is very easy. The only consideration is when drilling the chassis, be careful not to hit anything on the inside as the drill can be pulled through the metal as the hole is cut.

Happy to do it for you if you pay postage to and from.

R
Brrariror
Newly Registered Users

Post by Brrariror »

Last edited by Phantom on Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link removed due spam