Kenwood tk860

For anyone that wants to modify their equipment or has a question relating to their installation issues
Forum rules
Aussiescanners takes no responsibility for any modification undertaken, these are to be done at your own risk and should only be performed by those with good knowledge of radio and soldering.
Comint

Re: Kenwood tk860

Post by Comint »

Cowsy wrote:Anyone programmed one of these before? A lot of trouble to say the least. I've finally worked out how to run the software in dos but only have a kp46 cable and apparently you need a kp4 cable.

Anyone around Brisbane this weekend with a kp4?

Or hints on how to correctly use the kp46? I've researched the net extensively and apparently you can use the kp46 but it just wont work for me.

As I don't run windows 98, I've had to run dosbox which is a dos emulator. The program runs fine but just wont connect to the radio.

Cheers
As far as I am aware, the KP4 is 6 pin, and the KP46 is 8 pin, and as such the KP46 won't fit in the TK860 socket.

You could make an adapter from 8 pin to 6 pin.

KP46 Pin 1 ---- KP4 -- Not Connected
KP46 Pin 2 -- KP4 Pin 1
KP46 Pin 3 -- KP4 Pin 2
KP46 Pin 4 -- KP4 Pin 3
KP46 Pin 5 -- KP4 Pin 4
KP46 Pin 6 -- KP4 Pin 5
KP46 Pin 7 -- KP4 Pin 6
KP46 Pin 8 ---- KP4 -- Not Connected

Are you using a genuine Kenwood cable, or a copy.

Are you using a Desktop computer, or a laptop.

--
Comint
Comint

Re: Kenwood tk860

Post by Comint »

Cowsy wrote:Using a genuine Kenwood kp46 cable. It has the mic plug and the 2 plugs also to program handhelds.

Genuine software and tried on both laptop (with comport adaptor) and computer using a dos emulator (as xp and later ustilise a different dos than earlier windows programs).

There are very few windows 98 computers around anymore :) just wondering if the dosbox emulator is really the best one. Has anyone tried a different emulator?
OK.

The reason I asked about genuine or copy cable, was that the genuine one gets its power from the radio, whereas some of the copies try to get their power from the serial port on the computer, and Serial Ports on Laptops are notorious for being unable to supply adequate/reliable power to run Max232 based interfaces. Likewise, not all USB/Comport adapters are set up to provide the necessary power.

But since you are using genuine items, none of the above is applicable.

--
Comint