Antenna for uhf radio

For anyone that wants to modify their equipment or has a question relating to their installation issues
Forum rules
Aussiescanners takes no responsibility for any modification undertaken, these are to be done at your own risk and should only be performed by those with good knowledge of radio and soldering.
Palmy

Antenna for uhf radio

Post by Palmy »

hi again, I was wondering if anyone could reccomend me a antenna for a fdp uhf radio, I need an antenna that is preferably telescopic or flexible, that is about 22cm long or so, and very good for getting range on a radio.

Cheers
Sam
Newy1234

Re: Antenna for uhf radio

Post by Newy1234 »

Are you talking about a handheld radio?
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

Palmy wrote:hi again, I was wondering if anyone could recommend me a antenna for a fdp uhf radio, I need an antenna that is preferably telescopic or flexible, that is about 22cm long or so, and very good for getting range on a radio.

Cheers
Sam
You need to be a little more specific. What is the radio used for? Is it to transmit, or is it receive only? Is is hand held, vehicle mounted or desk top?
Palmy

Post by Palmy »

sorry, it is used for both transmitting and receiving it is a handheld
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

The length of an antenna should be cut dependant on the frequency that it is being used on.

What is the "centre" frequency you are looking at transmitting on
Palmy

Post by Palmy »

I dont know what center frequency is, my radio is programmed to 477mhz and I plan to use channel 10 20 40
chanjyj

Post by chanjyj »

Palmy wrote:I dont know what center frequency is, my radio is programmed to 477mhz and I plan to use channel 10 20 40
Use the centre frequency as 477. An ideal antenna length is ~ 7cm for a 1/2 wave antenna
Palmy

Post by Palmy »

I need an antenna that is below 30 cm that I can get the most distance out of, by the way my radio is 5W the standard antenna is 12Cm but that just doesnt cut it, I need maxiumum gain for it