Window Mount Antennas

For anyone that wants to modify their equipment or has a question relating to their installation issues
Forum rules
Aussiescanners takes no responsibility for any modification undertaken, these are to be done at your own risk and should only be performed by those with good knowledge of radio and soldering.
Stretch
Forum Manager

Window Mount Antennas

Post by Stretch »

Hey guys,

I'm looking at installing a window mount antenna for the UHF on my car.

What's everyone's suggestions? I've had a decent look around but he's the best place to ask for advice :)

Thanks everyone
Mitch Rogers
NightFlight

Re: Window Mount Antennas

Post by NightFlight »

Gday Stretch, long time no speak :D

I used to have one on my previous car that I used for both UHF CB and scanning (UHF). Although it is definitely a compromise over dedicated larger antennas, I was quite happy with its performance for both around town. Mounted it on the top passenger side of the windscreen (easier cable run to radio).

I had an RFI AP454 which back then only had a smaller "unity gain" whip,(same as QPS vehicles) but I believe they now also come in a kit with both this and a longer (3Db??) whip.

I think prestige comms have them online at a fairly good price.

Hope this helps,
Cheers.
Nightflight
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

Thanks Nightflight.

Yeah it's been a while. Glad to be back though :)

Thanks for your help

Mitch
Mitch Rogers
AIRMAN

Post by AIRMAN »

On the subject of window mounted antennas, I am prevented from having any form of antenna on the roof of my villa (retirement village). The back of my house has my office which has a window by my desk. Would it be worth buying an on-glass antenna mounted on the top corner of this window? This would be below the roof line under the eaves. At the moment all I have is a HH with a telescopic whip on a BNC, put it barely gets signals on UHF and VHF is just about deaf. The house has only one TV antenna socket in the lounge which supplies a signal to our TV from a communial antenna and cannot be used for any other purpose.

Any ideas on this?
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

AIRMAN wrote:On the subject of window mounted antennas, I am prevented from having any form of antenna on the roof of my villa (retirement village). The back of my house has my office which has a window by my desk. Would it be worth buying an on-glass antenna mounted on the top corner of this window? This would be below the roof line under the eaves. At the moment all I have is a HH with a telescopic whip on a BNC, put it barely gets signals on UHF and VHF is just about deaf. The house has only one TV antenna socket in the lounge which supplies a signal to our TV from a communial antenna and cannot be used for any other purpose.

Any ideas on this?
Usually, any antenna outside will out perform on indoor job, but glass doesn't stop radio signals, unless you have metal screens of course. An antenna in the window would be better than in the middle of the unit. You could try a simple J pole antenna made out of old TV ribbon or wire to see what will happen. Hang it outside the window if you have to.