On Glass Scanner Antenna

For anyone that wants to modify their equipment or has a question relating to their installation issues
Forum rules
Aussiescanners takes no responsibility for any modification undertaken, these are to be done at your own risk and should only be performed by those with good knowledge of radio and soldering.
jaskel

On Glass Scanner Antenna

Post by jaskel »

Hi all, I have a new car but I dont want to mount 2 big antennas on it, so I was going to buy a on glass antenna for the Uniden 396XT. ill mainly be listening to NSW GRN and Airband with NO transmitting.

Im interested in peoples experiences with these antennas, the pros and cons and the range compared to a full size antenna.

Any brands better than the other??

Thanks all

Jas
Uniden UBCD996XT, UBCD396T,Pro 96, UBC120XLT, Icom IC-208H, GME TX4220, Icom IC-F410, Discone
woodz09

Re: On Glass Scanner Antenna

Post by woodz09 »

Hi Jaskel, For GRN i find the RFI On-Glass works with no worries- I have one on my 996t in my FG.
jaskel

On Glass Scanner Antenna

Post by jaskel »

No worries thanks. Mine is also an FG, did u mount it in the middle of the rear where they have the space for the antenna? Does it sit very high?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Uniden UBCD996XT, UBCD396T,Pro 96, UBC120XLT, Icom IC-208H, GME TX4220, Icom IC-F410, Discone
woodz09

Post by woodz09 »

Yep mine is mounted smack bang n the middle where they have the space. The pack comes with 2x whips. I use the shorter one and it sits above the roof line but isnt very high- Im yet to see anyone using the taller (higher gain) whip

Here is a couple of NSWPF vehicle fitted with the same antenna, the same way- Hope it helps :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/special-fx ... hotostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/special-fx ... hotostream
jaskel

Post by jaskel »

I seem to only be able to find the RFI UHF units, im looking for a wideband one for airband and UHF.
woodz09

Post by woodz09 »

As i posted i only use it for GRN as they do only come in UHF or Cellular. I am yet to see an on glass for the VHF range- You would still receive air band with this it just wouldn't be as good as it could be- I have received marine transmissions one day when i was testing a few things.
jaskel

Post by jaskel »

yeah no worries, ill just do ome more searching for a wideband one.

Anyone out there used a wideband on glass antenna for scanning??
Torquative

Post by Torquative »

Hi guys,

assuming this is what I need - its just for the GRN while puttering around town without having to bolt an antenna to the boot of the car.

Where do I buy these ones with the shorter whip? I can only find ones that have a massively long whip which may be slightly more useful. but look would look unsightedly weird!

Cheers
rochedalescan
Founder

Post by rochedalescan »

Try http://www.prestigecom.net.au/ have a look at the RFI on glass antenna's they sell, its quite possibly what you are after.

Thanks Shane
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
Mathew

Post by Mathew »

I use the RFI AP454 on glass, it is one of the more discrete antennas.
It is perfectly fine for RX and it is even decent on transmit. It'll pick up VHF and air band (although not GREAT), so if you didn't want multiple antennas etc, just stick to one.

Mat
Uniden 396T + RH-96, Uniden BCT8, Puxing 888 UHF
Torquative

Post by Torquative »

thanks for the tips guys,

I'm waiting to hear back about some pricing for an external antenna, but it looks like Ive found one of these for 90 bucks or thereabouts which sounds like it will do the trick
jaskel

Post by jaskel »

yeah im still searching......I think im going to stick with the dual band antenna on boot mount for the scanner and run a dual band on glass...only thing im worried about is the transmit power as im running a icom IC208H.....modded for 477