DAB+ Antenna

For anyone that wants to modify their equipment or has a question relating to their installation issues
Forum rules
Aussiescanners takes no responsibility for any modification undertaken, these are to be done at your own risk and should only be performed by those with good knowledge of radio and soldering.
WiLDRAGoN

DAB+ Antenna

Post by WiLDRAGoN »

I bought a DAB+ Radio, but being in the south-west outskirts of Sydney, and living in a unit block, the signal strength is very poor.

It has the standard extendable antenna fitted, but I was just wondering if there is a way to connect a new or DIY antenna to get a bit better signal strength.
Phantom
Forum Manager

DAB+ Antenna

Post by Phantom »

Why not open it up and have a look for yourself?

You will be able to trace back to where the antenna is connected - why not hook something in line with the connection and see how it goes? Best making the connection directly where the aerial connects to the Board

It's all about trial and error
Scannersplitterguy

Re: DAB+ Antenna

Post by Scannersplitterguy »

A quick and rough approach would be to get a standard TV antenna flylead, cut the plug off one end and strip some insulation off the centre wire. Twist about an inch of the wire around the end of the radio antenna. Plug the other end of the cable into a TV antenna outlet.
http://www.scannerantennasplitter.com
http://www.acdcmanuals.com
AOR AR8200MK3, Icom IC-R75, UBC370CRS, UH7750NB, SR162 VHF AIS, SDR USB Dongle, Anytone AT-6666, Pearce Simpson Super Cheetah 27 MHz AM/SSB, QJE QJ-PS30II 30A PSU, Diamond DJ-130 Discone, Shockwave 5/8 27MHz, DIY HF longwire
Phil
Administrator

Post by Phil »

Scannersplitterguy,

i would have thought the directionality of the TV antenna would do worse for it as alot of Radio Services may not be where tv sites are located.
Phil
Forum Administrator
phil@aussiescanners.com.au

Uniden UBCD996T, RH96, UBCD396xt, Uniden UBCD563-PT
RTL-SDRs way to many
Motorola GP328, GP338, GP328 Plus, XTS3000, DP3400 VHF, DP2600e, DP4801e, DM4601e, XTL5000-03, XTS2500 M3
Simoco SRM9030 AC, SRM9022 UW
Hytera - PD412, PD462, PD682, MD782G, PD782G
Barrett 950
Icom IC-F60, IC-410 Pro
Tait TM8250
Kenwood - NX720HG
Scannersplitterguy

Post by Scannersplitterguy »

Scannersplitterguy wrote:A quick and rough approach...
That's why I said the above. Assuming his TV antenna system has an external amplifier, there should be plenty of gain.
If the antenna is pointing in the wrong direction, it may be less than ideal reception but it could be better than what he has now.
http://www.scannerantennasplitter.com
http://www.acdcmanuals.com
AOR AR8200MK3, Icom IC-R75, UBC370CRS, UH7750NB, SR162 VHF AIS, SDR USB Dongle, Anytone AT-6666, Pearce Simpson Super Cheetah 27 MHz AM/SSB, QJE QJ-PS30II 30A PSU, Diamond DJ-130 Discone, Shockwave 5/8 27MHz, DIY HF longwire
Comint

Post by Comint »

Scannersplitterguy wrote: . . . . Assuming his TV antenna system has an external amplifier, there should be plenty of gain.
As current TV antennas cover most of the same frequency range as DAB+ (174.9280 to 239.2000 MHz), even without an amplifier, the TV antenna should still present a stronger signal to the radio than the built-in "whip", and would prove whether an external antenna will solve his problem.

And that is assuming his problem is actually weak signal, as there have been numerous reports about the poor quality of DAB+ broadcasts in Australia. Quality of the "recovered audio" depends on the "databit rate" used, and Australian broadcasters are "ripping off" their listeners by using low databit rates.

--
Comint
WiLDRAGoN

Post by WiLDRAGoN »

Thanks for the replies!

I was thinking of the TV antenna idea, so I will try that, and if it works, I'll use orangepeel's suggestion and solder it to the board.

It's definitely a signal strength problem... I'm usually only getting 1 bar.