Mobile Antenna

For anyone that wants to modify their equipment or has a question relating to their installation issues
Forum rules
Aussiescanners takes no responsibility for any modification undertaken, these are to be done at your own risk and should only be performed by those with good knowledge of radio and soldering.
Air 495

Mobile Antenna

Post by Air 495 »

G'day all,

I have just purchased a scanner antenna for my car. It came with coax and base. I have a Uniden 396t scanner and wish to install this antenna on my car which is a hatchback. My question is: to get the best reception (airband & Metro ambulance service) is it better to install it on:

1) Driving light bar at front of car.
2) On a bracket on gutter on side of bonnet.
3) On rear door of hatchback.

I really appreciate your help in advance.

Cheers.
AIR 495

UNIDEN UBCD 396 T
SteveO

Re: Mobile Antenna

Post by SteveO »

Its not going to make that much of a difference where on the car but the higher the better.
Steve
Rohan

Post by Rohan »

also depends if it is a ground plain dependant antena or a independant ground plain
Rohan Greer
hon. sec. Cambooya RFB
scanners simoco 9020vhf, simoco 9020uhf, IC-400pro, IC-41s, ubc340crs
jaskel

Post by jaskel »

I vote for rear hatch mount!
Uniden UBCD996XT, UBCD396T,Pro 96, UBC120XLT, Icom IC-208H, GME TX4220, Icom IC-F410, Discone
Azoic

Post by Azoic »

Air 495 wrote:G'day all,

I have just purchased a scanner antenna for my car. It came with coax and base. I have a Uniden 396t scanner and wish to install this antenna on my car which is a hatchback. My question is: to get the best reception (airband & Metro ambulance service) is it better to install it on:

1) Driving light bar at front of car.
2) On a bracket on gutter on side of bonnet.
3) On rear door of hatchback.

I really appreciate your help in advance.

Cheers.
I might cop a lot of flak for this comment, but it REALLY wont matter where you mount a fitted base and stick, it will only work aswell as it's made. I used to run an American made whip for 1Khz-2700Mhz and beyond ( so they said ) it was 8.5 foot long and wound in 11 segments, Bloody horrible thing it was, and worked like a used condom in the wind. I replaced it with one of my own homemade toothpick antenna's....4 inches of silver rod, with 8 x 1 1/4 inch radials attached, on the back parcel shelf of the car, fed by a tuned length of RG-8 coax, and i got MORE on that than the big whip ever heard. I could hear the satellite's and MIR on most night's sitting in the MIDDLE of George Street in Sydney.

The position means nothing when compared to quality. A VERY wise amateur once said, for every dollar spent on your radio, spend two dollars on your antenna.....and he was RIGHT.