DTS-96 cable

Discussion on Radio Shack technologies, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
rredbeak

DTS-96 cable

Post by rredbeak »

Has anyone got a schematic for the DTS-96 USB programmilg cable please?

Ill BUY the buetell software.

Cheers Rod

tired of looking for a cable,cant be that hard to build.
I LOVE AOR scanners, but cant afford the newer ones LOL. So Uniden is it.
Comint

Re: DTS-96 cable

Post by Comint »

rredbeak wrote:Has anyone got a schematic for the DTS-96 USB programmilg cable please?

Ill BUY the buetell software.

Cheers Rod

tired of looking for a cable,cant be that hard to build.
Well, you would need to get hold of the appropriate FTDI, or Prolific USB Chipset, and I doubt there are too many places selling those in "one-off" quantities, so I would say the idea is "doomed to fail" before you even start.

--
Comint
rredbeak

Post by rredbeak »

Yea thats true. Story of my life really.

Ive looked hard enough through the net etc. I can only find pro 96 and when i question if its suitable for the DTS-96 i USUALLY get no response.Others say it may upload but cant garentee both directions.

The US companies that make them have discontinued the product through lack of sales,BUT ,then again thats the PRO 96.

Places like Ebay,ive never seen a dedicated DTS-96 vable,only the pro.

the DTS is a great radio,a pleasure to use but im quickly learning without support youre much better off buying a more popular brand with better support.

Im surviving by manually programming but jesus christ its boring.
Comint

Post by Comint »

rredbeak wrote:Ive looked hard enough through the net etc. I can only find pro 96 and when i question if its suitable for the DTS-96 i USUALLY get no response.Others say it may upload but cant garentee both directions.
Probably sticking my neck out here, but it sounds like they don't know what they are talking about. They seem to be getting Hardware confused with Firmware/Software.

As far as I am aware, Dick Smith Electronics (DSE) only had the Firmware changed to suit the Australian Band Plans, and it was a botched job, resulting in 'third party software' not working properly with the DTS-96. I don't believe there was ever any specific DTS-96 software, but I could be wrong on that one. Butel has managed to work around the botched Firmware changes with their ARC-96 software

The PRO-96 Programming Cable is just a 'level converter' that changes the RS-232 levels of the PC, to TTL levels required by the scanner, and I don't see any reason why DSE would have needed to change that, botched Firmware change, or not, so a PRO-96 Programming Cable should work on the DTS-96.

ICOM also uses the 'level converter' concept (known as the CI-V interface) for a lot of their scanners (such as the IC-R10), and from what I have read, you can even use the CI-V interface to program the PRO-96. You just have to make an adapter to go from the 3.5mm Stereo Plug on the CI-V Interface, to the 2.5mm Socket on the PRO-96/DTS-96.

--
Comint
rredbeak

Post by rredbeak »

WAIT a moment,WHOA...

Are you saying its Possible the Icom Civ USB MAY work if i reconfigure the male plug size??? OR build an adapter??

Ive got the 706mk11G AND i run digital all the time via a store bought C IV which HAS stereo plugs etc and the usb the opposite end...

And YES,its finally hit home these guys not confirming up or down are [themselves] getting confused with Software. Im a Bigger Dickh**** than them cause i should have seen the obvious....TY Comnit for showing me the light.

Please,Comint,just a coment on the CIV for the 706 [if its different] before i plug it in LOL.
Cheers Rod
Comint

Post by Comint »

rredbeak wrote:Are you saying its Possible the Icom Civ USB MAY work if i reconfigure the male plug size??? OR build an adapter??
The 706mk11G CI-V cable should work OK with a suitable adapter.

I believe the PRO-96/DTS-96 is 2.5mm Mono, and most of the Icoms are 3.5 mm Stereo, with the CI-V on the Tip and Sleeve, although Icom's OPC-478 Cable (for the IC-R10, and some others) is Ring and Sleeve.

--
Comint

Edit: It seems that the DTS-96 socket is 3.5mm Mono, so you will need a 3.5mm Stereo to Mono adapter.
Last edited by Comint on Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
rredbeak

Post by rredbeak »

ill dig the cable out and get back to you.

Might be a few days or so.