Static-like transmission

Discussion on Radio Shack technologies, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
Harry

Static-like transmission

Post by Harry »

Perhaps someone can suggest some help...I have a radio Shack Pro 94 hand held scanner and up until a few days ago was working fine...mostly on Qld Logan-area Police channels. Now, when there has been a broadcast & before it goes back to the scanning mode I hear quite a long burst of static (similar to when I have turned the squelch dial too far). In some cases I have to press the 'Scan' button to release that channel it seems to stick onto.
can anyone suggest a solution to this problem?

Also, I saw on ebay this scanner....
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Uniden-bearcat-N ... 4154f7b7b7

What is wrong with it that no-one is bidding...have I missed an important scanning feature?

Thank you from Harry :-)
Stretch
Forum Manager

Re: Static-like transmission

Post by Stretch »

Have you put any new electrical equipment near it since the problem started? A lot of things affect scanners (like my portable DVD player on the other side of the room)

Those 72xlts aren't bad. They're old but not bad.
Mitch Rogers
Harry

Post by Harry »

Thanks Mitch...I thought it may have been the fan, so switched that off, but is still not being in the fun! it's still going squich squich
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

Another suggestion I just thought of is find your second closest frequency (On the same channel (VKR Logan) and see if that channel is having issues.

Wasn't explained very well so if you don't understand I'll try and explain better :)
Mitch Rogers
Comint

Post by Comint »

Harry wrote:Perhaps someone can suggest some help...I have a radio Shack Pro 94 hand held scanner and up until a few days ago was working fine...mostly on Qld Logan-area Police channels. Now, when there has been a broadcast & before it goes back to the scanning mode I hear quite a long burst of static (similar to when I have turned the squelch dial too far). In some cases I have to press the 'Scan' button to release that channel it seems to stick onto.
can anyone suggest a solution to this problem?

Also, I saw on ebay this scanner....
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Uniden-bearcat-N ... 4154f7b7b7

What is wrong with it that no-one is bidding...have I missed an important scanning feature?

Thank you from Harry :-)
Well, not having mentioned frequencies makes it a bit difficult, but, considering the warm weather, you are possibly getting 'enhanced propagation' from another area, perhaps Brisbane. The 'long burst of static' may be an encrypted transmission.

The 'other area' is probably not a strong enough signal to open your squelch, but once opened by your local signal, will hold the squelch open after the local signal disappears.

As for the BC72XLT - people might have been scared off by the mention of Nascar in the description. NASCAR is the American racing circuit. From memory, the Australian version is the UBC73XLT, and some of the frequency bands are slightly different.

--
Comint
Harry

Post by Harry »

Thanks for your suggestions...strangely (or not so strangely perhaps) the reception has not been as bad in the last two days, still slight static at the end of a transmission but not nearly as bad.
I will keep an eye on the frequencies that are causing the problems and list them here.
thanks for the BC72XLT info Comint, I saw the NASCAR stuff and knew it was the racing circuit, pity the seller didn't put in more info, probably would have made more money :-)
mstrkrft

Static-like transmission

Post by mstrkrft »

Get a scanner that decodes CTCSS tones and that should help alot