VIC SMR Custom Channel File

This forum is a collective database of frequencies and information (callsigns, talk group ID's, channel allocations etc) for Victoria
splents

Post by splents »

Custom Channel File for TrunkView to work with the Victorian SMR network. (attached textfile "SMR.txt")

I haven't found a beginners tutorial for joining the SMR network yet, I started writing one months ago but haven't posted it here as it doesn't have the polish I want.
You can read the incomplete http://splents.com/2011/trunk-track-vic ... trunkview/, make suggestions or whatever.

I'd like to post a nice pdf here that is beginner friendly once I've got some more time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

Thanks for that. And thanking for taking the time to share

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mitch Rogers
Comint

Re: VIC SMR Custom Channel File

Post by Comint »

splents wrote:Custom Channel File for TrunkView to work with the Victorian SMR network. (attached textfile "SMR.txt")

I haven't found a beginners tutorial for joining the SMR network yet, I started writing one months ago but haven't posted it here as it doesn't have the polish I want.
You can read the incomplete http://splents.com/2011/trunk-track-vic ... trunkview/, make suggestions or whatever.

I'd like to post a nice pdf here that is beginner friendly once I've got some more time.
Technically, if you are using a Custom Band Plan, then you don't use the Base Frequency / Step because TrunkView is reading straight from the Profile.

As for the Profile:

If you create a single Profile named SMR.tvp, and name every one of the SMR Sites "SMR + SysID" or "SMR + Site Name" then you only have to create one Profile for the whole Network, rather than a separate Profile for each Site.

For example: you can have a Site named "SMR 58D9", or a Site named "SMR - Mt Victoria", and a Site named "SMR - Ferny Creek", and they will all work with the single Profile named SMR.tvp. The "SMR" in the Site Name is what links the individual Sites to the Profile.

I might also point out, that if you have more than 29 Sites listed in the Profile, you cannot edit the Profile from within TrunkView, or the file will be truncated on Saving.

--
Comint
splents

Post by splents »

You're right.

I'll have to remember to remove the base frequency finding from the final document.
Knowing how to find the base frequency in the VicSMR just makes it more frustrating... it won't work without a custom band plan. Although I did mention that in the tutorial.

Thats a neat trick with the profile...
Thanks.
Comint

Post by Comint »

splents wrote:Thats a neat trick with the profile...
In the Real world, most Sites have a lot fewer than 24 Channels, although, in reality, they could have up to 1023. Thus, the reasoning with TrunkView, was that the Custom Band Plan wouldn't be dealing with more than 29 Channels (24 plus a reserve of 5), so that is where the limit was set. This limit may be increased in a future version of the program.

A workround would be to use smaller Profiles, of say 5 to 8 frequencies, as the same blocks of frequencies are used at a number of Sites in the Network.

For example: The last time I looked, Bass Hill, Bambill South, Donald Knob, Lake Hindmarsh, Mt Buningyong, and Mt Wombat, all used the same block of frequencies.

From memory, seventeen different Profiles (SMR01 to SMR17) will cover the whole Network. Of course, the problem then is to work out which Profile covers which Site, and with some Sites, such as Dunns Hill (Ferny Creek), you would have to combine two or three Profiles, to cover all the frequencies.

--
Comint
vk3shane
Newly Registered Users

Post by vk3shane »

Thanks found this very useful.

Do you or anyone have a list of agency / unit IDs?

Cheers

Shane