ICOM IC-R20 or AOR AR8200 ?

Are you buying, swapping, selling or even looking for something? Post your advertisement in here and you may find someone who can help
jonau

ICOM IC-R20 or AOR AR8200 ?

Post by jonau »

I am looking to buy one of them models. I want your help with this to make my mind up.

ICOM IC-R20 OR AOR AR 8200

It apears that the Icom model is more popular. Perhaps with that extra little amount of frequencies ? but with that been stated how much more extra can one would have fun with when it comes to extra frequencies vs the AOR AR 8200 ?

I know that the AOR model is cheaper while the ICOM is more expensive.

What are the diferents between them both? Im not so fuzz with the (recording thing on a device)
Dual band is neat. Scan 2 channels at ones.

So AOR has 500kHz~2040MHz. While the ICOM has 3304.999MHz

So with all that been said what is there to listern between obove 2040MHz ? Because if there isn't much interesting to listern to.. then i suppose anything obove that may be a waste of money on a receiver. But im just trying to know about it for know.

Trying to know what i should buy and good for money. However i hear many people yet preffered the ICOM model. But is there a reason to why that instead of the AOR ?
jonau

Re: ICOM IC-R20 or AOR AR8200 ?

Post by jonau »

Anything obove that frequencies i have no idea what is there to listern to obove 2040MHz to 999mhz Because the ICOM seem to have this more frequency lenth added. !
SteveO

Post by SteveO »

I have an older AOR8000 and like it. I doubt there is anything that you could listen to in the higher frequencies.
Steve
tanger32au

Post by tanger32au »

I have owned both models and prefer the Icom R20. Here is a review I wrote in it a few years ago

http://www.scanningtasmania.org/tech-ar ... 7-icom-r20
jonau

Post by jonau »

Yep thanks tanger32au

Well it seems both models are as good as anythg. However R20 seems to be the top priority. And the price on this R20 is some what little far expensive.

Since this R20 model came out in 2005 ? if not mistaken (please correct me if im wrong) has there been any upgraded featured added on this model since it first came out years ago? I know they still seem to make this model. But any new feature have been added recently then when it first came out ?

Aniways great blog there. But still fighting for both models. Vs what is good and bad between them both. I'm more concern if theres anything interesting to listern to obove 2040MHz to 999mhz for this r20 or not much there to scan about. Othereise ill stick with AOR model.
alphanull25

Post by alphanull25 »

I am saving for the new AOR 8200 Digital. This is heaps cool with CTCSS and inverter built in, plus a micro SD card for internal recording. Goes up to 3 ghz. Costs about 900 bucks :D
dags19

Post by dags19 »

i dont need to save up for one bought the digital aor not long ago heaps cool :D
chanjyj

Post by chanjyj »

Also consider the Alinco DJ-X11T.
jonau

Post by jonau »

Hmm... I think what the problem here is that im just hungry for both devices. However that can't be posible in one go.

A new AOR 8200 Digital ? Never heard about it. I know there is mark2 and mark3 if not mistaken. But nothing much has been change between them all. Unless again im wrong. Where is this brand new AOR 8200 Digital ? Is that what it is called ? I wonder whats "new" with that.

I mean the IC-R20 seems very good. Its been around for a few years. But the question is. Have they added any newer features to this model since it is 2013 compare to when they first came out in 2005 or something rather ? Or they kept it the same technology since back then. Analogue.. digital. All matters whats good and whats not so good.

However one with a 3KHZ to its max be brilliant. If thats the case AOR will win new recent technology in the making. But i really don't no. Anything at these higher frequencies what exactly is there to listern to! One would wonder.

:) Yep time for savings all the way.
tanger32au

Post by tanger32au »

No, the R20 you buy today is exactly the same as the first ones that came out in 2005, I don't think they have added any new features in that time.
alphanull25

Post by alphanull25 »

You can get the AOR 8200 digital or find out about it at Andrews Communications Sydney. They have it on their web site http://www.andrewscom.com.au/index.htm
jonau

Post by jonau »

Okies thanks folks.

Ive just quickly learned about this new AOR AR8200D (DIGITAL) model and the only whats new with this model is the following:
AR-8200D Same as AR-8200-MKIII with the following added features.

* APCO25 Decoding
* Voice Recording
* MicroSD Card Slot
* 4GB MicroSD Card Included
* USB Port
* CTCSS built-in
* Voice Inversion built-in
* Higer capacity 1800mAh cells included

So not really much there. Just mainly the voice recording and such sd card and better batttery. But i think if only ever posible higher then 3gkz everyone would be bloom to it.

However i don't think i would really much ever use the recording and sd card for it. But more focus on the frequencies and search and discover hearing new interesting things.

By the way im sure everyone is totally aware of this but buying these receivers from overseas markets means you might posibly have some frequencies (blocked) for example 800mhz's might be blocked in usa with these any Icom/Aor devices. Unless of course they are australian versions. Don't get me wrong. I might be wrong with this. But i kept hearing some online stores overseas with warning signs about posibly 800mhz's is blocked in this country.
jonau

Post by jonau »

Anyways the AOR seems like a impressive device. I think i like the larger screen it contains and much brighter. However it seems that like anyone have indicated ICOM is the winner. Only downside with the ICOM model is the audio. Not loud enough ? Maybe there is a firm download somewhere for that sort of thing online where the user can actually have the audio louder. I really don't no.

P.S thanks for the direct link. Just having a browse atm.
Comint

Post by Comint »

jonau wrote: . . . By the way im sure everyone is totally aware of this but buying these receivers from overseas markets means you might posibly have some frequencies (blocked) for example 800mhz's might be blocked in usa with these any Icom/Aor devices. Unless of course they are australian versions. Don't get me wrong. I might be wrong with this. But i kept hearing some online stores overseas with warning signs about posibly 800mhz's is blocked in this country.
The last 1 MHz of the Australian 800 MHz Trunk Radio Band is blocked on scanners sourced from the USA.

Also, a number of overseas models don't cover the Australian VHF mid-Band of 70-87.5 MHz.

--
Comint
AIRMAN

Post by AIRMAN »

I have used both these models. They work well for what they are, but they are old technology. Heavy and large supposedly HH wide range receivers. I was disappointed in the AOR AR8200 MkIII's reception and audio quality. The IC-R20 was superior, especially on the lower bands.

Both have shortwave reception features including SSB, but these days these bands are very quiet
. :cry:
jonau

Post by jonau »

Yep. Both seems great models.

How do one actually finds out if the device you just brought online is a overseas model or australian version model ?
For example you want to buy one from Ebay... In this case the item comes from asia somewhere... Japan or even europe.

How does one actually know the device you buy wont be the unexpected unlocked or blocked frequencies ? For example if buy it from USA... these ICOM r20 has the trunk calls blocked. But not in australia.

So how does one actually knows if the item you brought in australia and or overseas isn't the one that has the some frequencies blocked ? Is there a way to determin to know the actual model from where it is comming from perhaps ?

Even if you buy it in australia one user may want to sale it on Ebay and you simply won't no if the device was brought overseas in the first place.

You want the device to work the fullest. Course thats what your paying for. At a higher price tag. At that price between 700 and 900 dollars between them both AOR and the ICOM model you want to be sure nothing is blocked. Thats why one would pay the item as new or second hand.
Comint

Post by Comint »

jonau wrote:How do one actually finds out if the device you just brought online is a overseas model or australian version model ?
Taking your question literally, you just try programming in a frequency in the range 868.9875 - 869.9875 MHz, and if you can enter the frequency, then it is probably NOT blocked.

Brand new scanners sold in America WILL be blocked. Thats the Law.

--
Comint
jonau

Post by jonau »

So... regardless i buy it from companys across australia. Im yet to encounter a model that came from usa ? I rather want a one that wont be blocked. Thats why im paying full price to get the thing working in full order. But i can understand that with the law in usa.

But you would think that if one is made in USA and one is australian version but both are identical same names.. Then how true does one believe the device comes from usa or not ? Shouldnt there be a code or special serial to look out first before buying it ?

For example lets say the usa model ICOM IC-R20 will have a code like a number 123 or letters abc.. Then one would know that model comes from usa. And the australian version model may have a special letter and or number code and or serial to know it will not be a blocked model.
alphanull25

Post by alphanull25 »

The Andrews Comm radios are sourced from Japan and are the international unblocked models. The AOR8200D has two different model numbers 8200DU International version and 8200DB USA version.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ ... /3082.html
jonau

Post by jonau »

Last edited by jonau on Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.