Queensland Government Wireless Network (QLD-GWN) Project

Enthusiast discussion on trunked radio networks, protocols including MPT1327, TETRA, EDACS, SMARTNET - as well as talk group ID's
Comint

Post by Comint »

Seems that Queensland's Government Wireless Newtwork (GWN) is rolling along, with the release on Monday, of a call for Expressions of Interest.

Roll out is planned to commence in the South East corner, in time for the G20 Meeting in 2014, and the Commonwealth Games in 2018.

Bear in mind that the NSW-GRN commenced in 1994, and they still haven't finished it, and the GWN is a bigger Project. Let us hope that the Government doesn't "screw it up", like they have with so many other things, in recent times.

--
Comint
scrawn80

Re: Queensland Government Wireless Network (QLD-GWN) Project

Post by scrawn80 »

thank you for fixing that up
guess the other one can be locked out now
was something i came across while doing some net searches for info
Comint

Post by Comint »

The QLD Government has shortlisted three organisations to be considered for the final contract/s.

The current contractor for the Ergon Energy Network, seems to be one of them.

--
Comint
brisescannerdude

Post by brisescannerdude »

Comint wrote:The QLD Government has shortlisted three organisations to be considered for the final contract/s.

The current contractor for the Ergon Energy Network, seems to be one of them.

--
Comint
Broadcast Australia have some serious run on the board both here and in UK, telstra has some good exposure locally but I'm not sure if they are behind/involved with the NSW grn and the fun they have had during there project, it will be interesting to see what solution telstra offers based on there other experances.

It is good to see Harris listed as well - maybe Qld will be an open skies site!
Phil
Administrator

Post by Phil »

One of the considerations was to allow interoperability with the other states which are both now p25 trunking Telstra and Motorola solutions are a good team and if they get it every state will be running from Motorola however will be good to see a tait based system similar to ergon
Phil
Forum Administrator
phil@aussiescanners.com.au

Uniden UBCD996T, RH96, UBCD396xt, Uniden UBCD563-PT
RTL-SDRs way to many
Motorola GP328, GP338, GP328 Plus, XTS3000, DP3400 VHF, DP2600e, DP4801e, DM4601e, XTL5000-03, XTS2500 M3
Simoco SRM9030 AC, SRM9022 UW
Hytera - PD412, PD462, PD682, MD782G, PD782G
Barrett 950
Icom IC-F60, IC-410 Pro
Tait TM8250
Kenwood - NX720HG
brisescannerdude

It would be good to see some tax money well spent and open network based on open standards implemented.

To be honest the whole 'we need p25 for interstate operability' is a crock here in Australia, are the NSW grn connect to Victoria grn? Has there been any info published in the public domain how states deal with such an event or do they race down to disk smith/jaycay and purchase uhf cb's and/or use mobile phones?

In the states where there is far more overlap of state/local/county law enforcement, fire and ambos but here in Qld and other states this is not really the case! The argument which has been mounted in the past has been pushed by sales people who have large commissions riding on selling these ‘so called solutions’

If you want a truly open network based on open standards (which p25 is spouse to be all about) you do not lock into one vendor and particularly vendors who are known to add non-open standard to their stack for lock in (this has occurred in Victoria from what I have read). If tait wins well good on them and at least we are supporting a ‘almost near local firm’ who has what looks to be a good product line up.
Phil
Administrator

Post by Phil »

brisescannerdude wrote:It would be good to see some tax money well spent and open network based on open standards implemented.

To be honest the whole 'we need p25 for interstate operability' is a crock here in Australia, are the NSW grn connect to Victoria grn? Has there been any info published in the public domain how states deal with such an event or do they race down to disk smith/jaycay and purchase uhf cb's and/or use mobile phones?

In the states where there is far more overlap of state/local/county law enforcement, fire and ambos but here in Qld and other states this is not really the case! The argument which has been mounted in the past has been pushed by sales people who have large commissions riding on selling these ‘so called solutions’

If you want a truly open network based on open standards (which p25 is spouse to be all about) you do not lock into one vendor and particularly vendors who are known to add non-open standard to their stack for lock in (this has occurred in Victoria from what I have read). If tait wins well good on them and at least we are supporting a ‘almost near local firm’ who has what looks to be a good product line up.
The NSWGRN and the MMR are managed by the same techs and both of which have running for some time now. Furthermore the NSWGRN has been testing multiple different radios with good success the P25 Standard whether Phase 1 or Phase 2 is supported by multiple vendors including Tait. Bare in mind that even if they went with Motorola Solutions I can guarantee that the multiple services will want to use there own series of radios, if you have been watching all the radios that these services are running are able to be upgraded to P25 Trunking.
Phil
Forum Administrator

RTL-SDRs way to many
Motorola GP328, GP338, GP328 Plus, XTS3000, DP3400 VHF, DP2600e, DP4801e, DM4601e, XTL5000-03, XTS2500 M3
Barrett 950
Icom IC-F60, IC-410 Pro
Tait TM8250
Kenwood - NX720HG
Rohan

Post by Rohan »

as a point of interest nsw rural talk to qld firecom in southwest reigion already so it cant be a need to be able to tlak across because it already can be done
Rohan Greer
hon. sec. Cambooya RFB
scanners simoco 9020vhf, simoco 9020uhf, IC-400pro, IC-41s, ubc340crs
Comint

Post by Comint »

brisescannerdude wrote: - maybe Qld will be an open skies site!
Heaven forbid.

Unfortunately, the rather vague references in the RFT documents, to P25, and interoperability, mean that the GWN could quite easily end up with some totally imcompatible system, such as Open Sky, or TETRA.

--
Comint
Comint

Post by Comint »

It seems the Queensland Government still hasn't announced a successful tenderer (as at 2013 July 02).

And they are only now looking for a Contract Director to manage the roll-out.

--
Comint
Phil
Administrator

Post by Phil »

from what i was reading they are up to the "Request for Binding Bids" stage so we should be close to a decision shortly one would imagine, i hope whoever gets it is fast enough to get the sites they need up and running before the summit
Phil
Forum Administrator

RTL-SDRs way to many
Barrett 950
Icom IC-F60, IC-410 Pro
Tait TM8250
Kenwood - NX720HG
brisescannerdude

ohh they can not announce the winner as it will be a security breach since the g20 was one of the reasons given for funding :-)

In the technology front will it be tetra, p25 p1 or p2 and one of the vendor lock in solutions or something else - this will be a interesting anoucment
brisescannerdude

Comint wrote:It seems the Queensland Government still hasn't announced a successful tenderer (as at 2013 July 02).

And they are only now looking for a Contract Director to manage the roll-out.

--
Comint
They are quoting $200k for the position - seems a little lean on if they are looking for a gun to do the job

Most average project managers I get to deal with are on $130k - $150k
Comint

Post by Comint »

brisbanescan wrote:from what i was reading they are up to the "Request for Binding Bids" stage so we should be close to a decision shortly one would imagine
They have been in the "Request for Binding Bids" stage since December 2012.

--
Comint
scrawn80

Post by scrawn80 »

From what i have found, it won't be until after 30th september we see any info.
Comint

Post by Comint »

scrawn80 wrote:From what i have found, it won't be until after 30th september we see any info.
So much for "mid year".

--
Comint
brisescannerdude

scrawn80 wrote:From what i have found, it won't be until after 30th september we see any info.
But did they say what year!

Sorry just had to say it.
scrawn80

Post by scrawn80 »

my guess it will have to be this year.
G20 is next year in november so they have to pull there finger out.
brisescannerdude

Looks they are starting to go to market to employ more technical people (or fixed term contract anyway)

https://smartjobs.qld.gov.au/jobtools/j ... =221369208

What is interesting is the scope of knowledge and experience they are looking for and also the successful contract will be under CITEC which is about to be disbanded and outsourced anyway.

It looks like they are starting to ramp up this dept – just goto announce who will build and manage
chanjyj

Post by chanjyj »

Ah, that's the end of the road I guess. I had finally started programming QAS Selcall into my radio. I think I'm going to stop, it's pointless - a huge amount of time spent for a few months of listening in. And yes, I finally managed to decode those blasted CCIR tones.