Perth frequencies

All air band scanning discussions, whether it be a bird, plane, superman, helicopter, space ship, rocket or anything else that glides through the air
Mervo44

Perth frequencies

Post by Mervo44 »

Hi all. I have a Bearcat scanner and love listening to aircraft frequencies from Adelaide. I've noticed something however.
I can't seem to pick up any aircraft flying from and over Adelaide to Perth. Why is this so as I get heaps of other transmissions over Adelaide. Also, if anyone has any specific Perth frequencies they could send me, I'd be eternally grateful.
Phantom
Forum Manager

Re: Perth frequencies

Post by Phantom »

(1) Line of sight to the aircraft and (2) your proximity to the ground transmitter is one of the biggest determining factors with aircraft transmissions on VHF.
Mervo44

Post by Mervo44 »

I realise that. I pick up heaps of other flights but none traveling over Adelaide to Perth.
geodementia

Post by geodementia »

They,ll be monitoring the class a freq over adelaide, but they may not need to report. They will most likely be tracked via adsb so atc won't require position reports, only frequency change requirements.
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

What freqs are you listening to?
Mervo44

Post by Mervo44 »

All if the available Adelaide frequencies.
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

What are the "Adelaide Frequencies" that you talk of?

Unfortunately there are no "Adelaide" frequencies that look after the aircraft that would be transiting across to Perth. "Adelaide" frequencies would be more to do with arrivals and departures.

I believe that you would be looking for "Melbourne Centre" frequencies for the flights higher up
Mervo44

Post by Mervo44 »

Thank you. I hear the word 'Hawkie' referred to as a reporting point, What is it, Where is it ?
Comint

Post by Comint »

Mervo44 wrote:Thank you. I hear the word 'Hawkie' referred to as a reporting point, What is it, Where is it ?
HAWKY is a WAYPOINT, which is an imaginary reference point in the sky, located at 34 degrees 34.5 minutes South, 137 degrees 51.2 minutes East. Waypoints are always five characters long.

Have a look at the AirServices Australia website, and you can download a complete list of the Waypoints around Australia.

--
Comint
Mervo44

Post by Mervo44 »

Thanks, Comint. I went on the website but couldn't find any link to Waypoints, Could you please send me the link ?
Comint

Post by Comint »

Mervo44 wrote:Thanks, Comint. I went on the website but couldn't find any link to Waypoints, Could you please send me the link ?
http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/aip/aip.asp?pg=10
Click on "Copyright Statement".
Click on "I Agree"
Click on "En Route Supplement Australia"
Click on "IFR WAYPOINTS"
and you are done.

Or,

You can just go into a "Pilots Shop" and purchase a hard copy of the En Route Supplement Australia.

--
Comint
blacktown
Forum Manager

Post by blacktown »

And for real time positions of planes go to flightradar24.com and position it to australia.
Mervo44

Post by Mervo44 »

Thank you for that information, Comint, Much appreciated,