Best Antenna for Receiving Airband on Hand-Held Scanner?

All air band scanning discussions, whether it be a bird, plane, superman, helicopter, space ship, rocket or anything else that glides through the air
NoahMcM

Best Antenna for Receiving Airband on Hand-Held Scanner?

Post by NoahMcM »

Hi guys,

I just bought my first scanner, a Uniden UBC126AT, and I have to say that I'm rather disappointed with the reception I receive from Moorabbin Airport (a very busy metropolitan class D airport) just 5 kilometres away (as the crow flies). In fact, I'm not picking up the airport at all.

I'm sure it's got something to do with my antenna as I travelled to the base of the control tower itself and could hear all communications perfectly fine.

I'm wondering if I can increase my receiving abilities with a replacement antenna that is suitable for portable use. Something I don't have to stick on my roof.

Do you think this could improve my scanning ability? If so, which antenna would you recommend?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Noah
Phantom
Forum Manager

Re: Best Antenna for Receiving Airband on Hand-Held Scanner?

Post by Phantom »

Welcome to the forum!

Typically these transmissions are line of sight. The higher the better, failing that, a directional antenna may help

I would suggest an external antenna at a high location at your house to assist with receive capability.
NoahMcM

Post by NoahMcM »

Phantom wrote:Welcome to the forum!

Typically these transmissions are line of sight. The higher the better, failing that, a directional antenna may help

I would suggest an external antenna at a high location at your house to assist with receive capability.
Thanks! I'm thinking about getting a UBC355XLT in the future so I guess it could be worthwhile putting an antenna up. My main intention though is to just listen to air-band. Would you have any recommendations?

I also intend to use my scanner while plane-spotting but I'm worried that the comms may become unclear a few kilometres away from the control tower, say for example, at a larger airport. Do you have any recommendations for a replacement antenna I could plug into the scanner?

Thanks for the reply!
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

My suggestion would be to ideally match an antenna to the band/freq that you are listening to. This generally gives the best result as it is matched.

Maybe you should go out and explore and see the limitations.
chainz

Post by chainz »

Get the Nagoya 771. Couple of bucks from eBay, it's great for airband.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
NoahMcM

Post by NoahMcM »

chainz wrote:Get the Nagoya 771. Couple of bucks from eBay, it's great for airband.

Hi Chainz!

I figured I'd do what Phantom suggested and go out and explore the possibilities.

I did a bit of research and concluded that the Diamond SRH77CA would be a good start -- but hey, I know almost nothing about scanning!

I couldn't find an Australian store that stocked these so I ended up purchasing one from The States on eBay for about $100 (including shipping).

How would you say the Diamond SRH77CA stacks up against the Nagoya 771?

Thanks!
chainz

Post by chainz »

I would say that you have just wasted your money. The Nagoya 771 is the same thing. Sure the Nagoya is a knock off but it would have been perfect and it works amazingly well

NoahMcM

Post by NoahMcM »

chainz wrote:I would say that you have just wasted your money. The Nagoya 771 is the same thing. Sure the Nagoya is a knock off but it would have been perfect and it works amazingly well

Whoops! I was actually looking at the Nagoya 771 but the endless warnings on the web about fakes really turned me off.

If the Nagoya is as much of a rip-off as you say, surely the Diamond will perform just as well if not marginally better?
chainz

Post by chainz »

The Nagoya will perform just as good and only cost you 5 bucks including shipping

NoahMcM

Post by NoahMcM »

chainz wrote:The Nagoya will perform just as good and only cost you 5 bucks including shipping

Well I might end up getting one anyway as I have just realised that my scanner (a Uniden UBC126AT) has a BNC antenna connector and the antenna I just bought has an SMA male connector. Is there some sort of converter I can get to bridge them together?
chainz

Post by chainz »

There are. But up to you, If you want to spend 100 on something thats gonna be the same as something that cost 5 bucks, go for it
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

The Nagoya antenna will probably cost a little more than $5.00, and adapters are a few dollars from Jaycar. I used a similar set up on a Yaesu scanner some years ago.
chainz

Post by chainz »

Nope. They range from 5 to about 15 bucks.

y164
Newly Registered Users

Post by y164 »