New scanner, only receiving App and Dep

All air band scanning discussions, whether it be a bird, plane, superman, helicopter, space ship, rocket or anything else that glides through the air
Dom2364

New scanner, only receiving App and Dep

Post by Dom2364 »

So a few days ago I bought my first scanner, a Uniden UBC126AT with just the stock AT218 antenna. The main use of it is to get RAAF and just general air frequencies. I live in Toowong so I thought I had a good position to get Brisbane Airport, Archerfield and Amberley. So I set it up and tuned to 120.5 (YBBN Tower) and heard...nothing. I looked around more and discovered the only frequencies that work are the Approach and Departure frequencies. This is for all airports, I have regular Brisbane airport approach transmissions, occasional Archerfield and even heard an RAAF plane on final approach to Amberley. The approach and departure frequencies I have for Brisbane airport are 124.7 and 128.3 but I get no ATIS, no Brisbane Radar, no tower or ground. Did some research and found that Brisbane airport has those frequencies at Mt Coot-tha which is really close to where I live so that's why. So I was wondering if I needed to get a better antenna to get to Brisbane airport or Amberley and if so, which antenna would you recommend? I can't have something too big just a medium sort of thing I can attach to the roof.
railscan

Re: New scanner, only receiving App and Dep

Post by railscan »

Dom2364 wrote:So a few days ago I bought my first scanner, a Uniden UBC126AT with just the stock AT218 antenna. The main use of it is to get RAAF and just general air frequencies. I live in Toowong so I thought I had a good position to get Brisbane Airport, Archerfield and Amberley. So I set it up and tuned to 120.5 (YBBN Tower) and heard...nothing. I looked around more and discovered the only frequencies that work are the Approach and Departure frequencies. This is for all airports, I have regular Brisbane airport approach transmissions, occasional Archerfield and even heard an RAAF plane on final approach to Amberley. The approach and departure frequencies I have for Brisbane airport are 124.7 and 128.3 but I get no ATIS, no Brisbane Radar, no tower or ground. Did some research and found that Brisbane airport has those frequencies at Mt Coot-tha which is really close to where I live so that's why. So I was wondering if I needed to get a better antenna to get to Brisbane airport or Amberley and if so, which antenna would you recommend? I can't have something too big just a medium sort of thing I can attach to the roof.
Before the critics say anything, I don't want to know. Now, I assume your TV antenna is point towards Cootha? If you have a spare socket, make up a lead with a BNC on one end and a Belling Lee (TV plug) or F connector whatever you use and run the scanner from the TV aerial. Make sure you have a splitter if you only have one socket. Don't worry about cable impedance it doesn't matter. Otherwise a quarter wave on a mag base or similar will do.

R
Dom2364

Post by Dom2364 »

Yeah I thought about using the TV antenna, I'll think about that.
Xstream003

Post by Xstream003 »

Will the to antenna work with all air band channels?
Comint

Post by Comint »

Xstream003 wrote:Will the to antenna work with all air band channels?
Which one? The stock AT218, or the TV antenna.
Being that close to Mt Coottha, either antenna should have no trouble picking up all air band frequencies.

Within about 10 nautical miles of the airport, I believe the Base Stations are only 10 watts, but you should still be hearing the transmissions of the aircraft using those frequencies, even though you may not hear the Base Stations.

--
Comint
Dom2364

Post by Dom2364 »

I can only receive App and Dep on the A128 Antenna, I'm testing the TV antenna now. I barely receive anything on airband and only really get things from Mt Coot-tha repeaters. I am also not actually on the mountain but at the bottom, surrounded by a lot of 1-2 story houses.
Xstream003

Post by Xstream003 »

My to antenna is pointing to mt Dandenong which is inline with the Melbourne Tullamarine, it's a digital ready to antenna and Im currently only using an indoor stock antenna for my UNIDEN 355xlt. Is the adaptor bnc to Rca?
Dom2364

Post by Dom2364 »

I'm using a standard TV to F type, then F type to BNC. Havent really done much on cabling research so I ended up using like 5 metres of tv antenna cable (Should I be using something like a proper cable or is that fine?).
Xstream003

Post by Xstream003 »

I'm pretty sure TV cable is 75ohm rg6 and standard radio cable is rg58 50ohm so Im not sure if it would make any difference
Comint

Post by Comint »

Xstream003 wrote:I'm pretty sure TV cable is 75ohm rg6 and standard radio cable is rg58 50ohm so Im not sure if it would make any difference
Negligible difference when used for receiving.

--
Comint