Power supply: Whats suitable

For amateur and citizens band radio enthusiasts, covering licensing issues, carrier dropping, sideband and all other related discussions
chilicom

Power supply: Whats suitable

Post by chilicom »

Hi looking at getting a power supply dual purpose for some projects and wanting to use it for powering scanners, amateur radio and swr in the future. Uncertain as to what to get, and the Volt and Amp requirements needed for future gear.

I was looking at a 0-30v 0-15a one for my needs now with a switch for 13.8v, switch mode with supposably good RF immunity and EMI (appx $180). Having looked at some amateur radio type psu's they all seem to be if variable round the 0-30v 0-30a type ranges. So thinking 15amps may not be adequate and would need more amps. Swithmode or linear?. There was another psu 1-15v 60amps switch mode with RF immunity and EMI (appx $300). However for other use need more the 30v capability.

I could get 2 of the same and run them in parralell or series however would add to the cost. The 1-30v 0-30a was appx $450 with remote sensing and other goodies. I don't know how a Amateur radio power supply is different to one for electronics (I realise could be a really stupid question). Any advice or suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
ozradio

Re: Power supply: Whats suitable

Post by ozradio »

It's hard to give you an acccurate read on the power supply you need without knowing the draw of your equipment. first step would be to check the voltate and current draw of all of your gear and then work out what gear you will be running at the same time. If you go into an electronics store and give them a list of the voltages and current draws for your gear they will be able to specify what power supply would work the best for you. I use a Barrett power supply at the emergency service I am with from an old HF radio connected to both mains bower as well as a battery backup and it powers two simoco SRM9030 Plus units, a uniden 80 channel UHF, and a Barrett crystal locked HF set and even when I am running all four units at the same time it works fine and doesn't overload the power supply plus the battery backup keeps them all running for around 1 hour of scanning or half an hour transmit time which gives enough time to kick in generator backups should they be needed.
ozradio
Simoco SRM9030Plus TU Band, SRM9030Plus AC Band, SRM9005 AC Band, SRM9022 TU Band
Tait T2000II, Barrett Crystal Locked HF Set, Uniden 80 Channel UHF
chilicom

Re: Power supply: Whats suitable

Post by chilicom »

Thanks for the information ozradio. Any chance of some photos of the back showing leads, connectors and how attached to battery would be interesting. The power supply you mention according to oggle is a linear fixed 13.8V 20amp with some interesting bits. I was hoping to run a psu with variable voltage and amps with a switch for fixed 13.8v so that the knob could not be bumped. Wasn't sure whether linear or switch mode or if it mattered just as long as it had good RF immunity. Wondering what others are using? and whether anyone is running the psu in paralell or series.

I was hoping to adapt the power supply to be powered by 12V battery and mains. The battery being charged by both mains and solar panel. Similar to the psu you mentioned with the addition of solar to extend the time. The psu would also be used to charge and run other gadgets besides radio and scanner such as phones, computer etc therefore the desire for it to be variable 0-30v 0-15a ? not just fixed 13.8v. Is anyone else using solar, charged battery to power their units? any thoughts?.