Uniden Ex130XLT and freqencies

For amateur and citizens band radio enthusiasts, covering licensing issues, carrier dropping, sideband and all other related discussions
ler260

Uniden Ex130XLT and freqencies

Post by ler260 »

Hi
I am just wanting to know about your thought on the Uniden EX130XLT scanner. Is this UHF and VHF and what do I need to listen to police, fire brigade, ambulance and planes, helicopter and stuff. I am very new to this and don't understand much about scanners. What frequencies do I need for Nowra/Ulladulla to listen to the services mentioned above. Any other info would be great
Thanks ler260
Phantom
Forum Manager

Re: Uniden Ex130XLT and freqencies

Post by Phantom »

Howdy!
Welcome to the forum.
If you are wanting to listen to aircraft, this scanner will be fine.
I am not 100% sure of the network the services are on in that part of the world. I will leave that part up to those who are more up to speed on things in your neck of the woods.
My understanding is that they are not a bad scanner for their price. You may find it a little more beneficial if you get a trunking scanner (UBCD396XT as an example if your budget cam stretch) as this can pick up some digital un-encrypted streams, however again, find out what services are in your area first prior to make such a large purchase to ensure it fits your needs and that your scanner of choice will be suitable for your needs.
ler260

Post by ler260 »

thanks for answering. I just did some more research and found out that this is not digital and therefore wont be able to listen to nswgrn. This is a real shame. I 13 years old and don't have enough money for the scanner your were suggesting do you know of any online or in store shops that sell cheap UBCD396XT
thanks again
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

You maybe able find a cheap(ish) 396 on eBay as well as other trading website (gumtree)
Before racing out, let's wait until other (with more knowledge of your area) to come back and provide more detailed information as to what might be the right scanner for you in order to listen to the emergency services....

Maybe Uniden could have a refurbished service and offer them slightly cheaper?

The scanner you have is still a great scanner to get you started and into the hobby. Lesrnig more about it and what particular areas might be of real interest to you. There is still a lot of things that your 130 will still pick up and worth listening too.
ler260

Post by ler260 »

what will the 130 pick up if it is analog
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Well, as I don't really know your area, I would assume that there would be things like aviation band, ham radio, UHF CBRS, marine, some commercial companies.

You would have to look thru the ACMa database to search your local area (say by postcode) and then look at the emission to see what it shows.

Easy way is to place it on scan for a few days and keep a pad/pen close by and jot down the frequency it stops on and then maybe look it up to see what it resolves to
ler260

Post by ler260 »

ok what other brands for scanners are there that are good but a little cheaper
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

What in particular are you seeking to listen into?
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

You could always explore the world of SDR. All you need is a computer and a suitable USB Dongle and see where it leads you.
ler260

Post by ler260 »

I want a portable like a handheld what do you suggest
astro_boy1

Post by astro_boy1 »

Keep saving a little more and get a second hand ubc396xtl, you will be better off with this radio then spending less on a 130xlt.
Most of the stuff you would be interested in is already digital or going that way whihc means you'll need a 396 or better.
ler260

Post by ler260 »

ok what sites are there that sell cheap digital scanners
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Your typical sites would be a good start:
Google, ebay, gumtree, classifieds etc. maybe even try Cash Converters etc.
Maybe try and see if Uniden offer a refurbished unit at a slightly cheaper price?
I'm sure if you are dedicated enough, you would look thru the usual webpages, type in what you are looking for and I am sure something will pop up
ler260

Post by ler260 »

ok who can tell me what frequencyies I use down here
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Have a look thru the forum. I am sure you will be able to find some frequencies to get you started.
Failing that, look thru the ACMA database and report those frequencies that work to the forum so others can benefit.