Icom IC-400Pro

For amateur and citizens band radio enthusiasts, covering licensing issues, carrier dropping, sideband and all other related discussions
Control Unit 1

Icom IC-400Pro

Post by Control Unit 1 »

Hello and Merry Christmas to all,

Firstly I new to this forum, loving this website keep up the great work.

Looking to purchase a new UHF CB early in the new year, looking at a mobile set. Have been out of the CB scene for a several years now, back I the mid 90's I had a TX4000 and loved it.

My question is........

Looking at the Icom IC-400Pro. If anyone has one could I please have a bit of feed back, as cannot find any reviews or YouTube reviews on web.

Or if anyone suggest another radio, Icom, GME or Uniden.

Thanks heaps :)

Control Unit 1
UBCD396XT, TX4000, AX144
brianWE

Re: Icom IC-400Pro

Post by brianWE »

Can't help a lot...I've been out of it, too.
BUT, past experience and recent reading make me believe that there isn't much in the UHF CB area that beats Icom.

That said, I wonder what happened to Sawtron.
Had a desk-top/mobile a long time ago.
Loved it.

All the best in your return to the fold. 8)
Comint

Post by Comint »

brianWE wrote: . . That said, I wonder what happened to Sawtron.
Imark Communications, in Melbourne, are the Australian distributors for Kyodo radios.
The Sawtron UHF-CB was just a re-badged Kyodo KG-107 (probably the -40D).

--
Comint
youngn
Forum Manager

Post by youngn »

Control Unit 1 wrote:Hello and Merry Christmas to all,

Firstly I new to this forum, loving this website keep up the great work.

Looking to purchase a new UHF CB early in the new year, looking at a mobile set. Have been out of the CB scene for a several years now, back I the mid 90's I had a TX4000 and loved it.

My question is........

Looking at the Icom IC-400Pro. If anyone has one could I please have a bit of feed back, as cannot find any reviews or YouTube reviews on web.

Or if anyone suggest another radio, Icom, GME or Uniden.

Thanks heaps :)

Control Unit 1
G'Day mate and welcome to Aussiescanners!

I had a TX4000 a few years back, and as old as it was it still worked beautifully. GME in all it's glory. :lol:

As for the Icom IC-400 Pro, it is a brilliant all round unit; loads of features, good band coverage and output power. BUT for casual UHF CB only, it may be overkill, as it is also designed for licenced + high power use.

It's all very dependant on what you want to do with the unit. The IC-400 Pro makes a great CB and scanner combo (Provided it's programmed correctly and 'legally')

Cheers,
Youngn
"YOUNGN"
brianWE

Post by brianWE »

The Sawtron UHF-CB was just a re-badged Kyodo KG-107 (probably the -40D).
Cool!
Nice background info.

Although it wasn't like any CB I have owned and used....and there has been a bunch.
brianWE

Post by brianWE »

I had a TX4000 a few years back, and as old as it was it still worked beautifully. GME in all it's glory.
I still have the one I took out of my car when I surrendered to the rust monster and dumped it.
Pretty sure the TX4000 is still working.
The one next to my computer desk still works.
Moving back to town over the next couple of months and will get back into the hobby.
Control Unit 1

Post by Control Unit 1 »

Thanks for the warm welcome and feed back. :D

Will have a look into that Kyodo, thanks Brianwe and Comint. And that's the plan Youngn to use the Icom as a CB as well as a scanner. 8)
UBCD396XT, TX4000, AX144
oldicom
Newly Registered Users

Post by oldicom »

Gday Just saw the thread, the 400 pro will go forever, it has a 45W pa, so running it all day every day on 5W will be good for it. The 400 is fully programmable, HIGH QUALITY Radio its an awesome radio that the others pretend to be, thats why 2000 a month go to mining businesses & towns around Australia and yes I do have one in my 4WD and one in the shack. I cant say the same of the 440, not as flexible and the power cannot be upped. Cheers Peter
Control Unit 1

Post by Control Unit 1 »

Thanks Peter, sounds good.
UBCD396XT, TX4000, AX144
youngn
Forum Manager

Post by youngn »

oldicom wrote:Gday Just saw the thread, the 400 pro will go forever, it has a 45W pa...
G'Day oldicom,

Do you just mean the PA circuitry is capable of 45w? The IC-400 Pro 'only' goes to 25w from memory...

Just curious :D

Cheers,
"YOUNGN"
"YOUNGN"
peteramjet

Post by peteramjet »

Control Unit 1 wrote:And that's the plan Youngn to use the Icom as a CB as well as a scanner. 8)
For traveling, the IC400 wouldn't be much good as a scanner as you cannot program from the radio, only with the software. If you only need to receive some known extra channels in the UHF band it would be alright, otherwise I'd look at a radio you can program without software or a scanner in addition to the CB.
tbecroft
Newly Registered Users

Post by tbecroft »

You can program RX channels from the front, I would just suggest keeping a copy of the manual as its a process.

I know old post....